Instinct - 6.51 Beta Release

Hello Instinct users,

We have new beta software ready for your upcoming adventures!

Please read the 'notes' and 'installation instructions' in the 'Updates and Downloads' page found in the link below. We look forward to your feedback!

Instinct: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14527

Note: Please allow for the updates to propagate across all servers. There is no need to post that the link does not work. It will after a bit of patience.

6.51 Change Log Notes:

• Added Body Battery widget (Settings > Widgets > Add Widgets > Body Battery).
  • Made improvements to altimeter calibration.
    • Added “During Activity” and “Not During Activity” auto calibration settings (Altimeter > Auto Cal.).
    • Added option to manually calibrate altimeter to DEM (Altimeter > Calibrate > Use DEM).

Top Replies

• Added Body Battery widget (Settings > Widgets > Add Widgets > Body Battery).

Body Battery widget on the watch works fine, but the Body Battery pane does not appear on GC Mobile…

• Added option to manually calibrate altimeter to DEM (Altimeter > Calibrate > Use DEM).

I had to lookup what DEM means. Perhaps there are other as uneducated people as myself, who…

• over 4 years ago in reply to trux +2 suggested

In other words, it means the elevation is not retrieved directly from the GPS data using trigonometric functions. Instead, just the longitude/latitude GPS coordinates are used to read the topographic…

All Replies

• Thanks for the beta update!  Appreciate new features.

• is there a known fix for this? or is it being worked on?

• Works fine on my side. Perhaps the unusual reporting of number of floors was triggered by the change of the version. I would try calibrating the altimeter, and wait another day or two, before jumping to conclusions.

• New posting on here, have had the instinct for right at a year. Gotta say if this update is an indication of a pivot on Garmin's part to "unify the feature set" across product lines, I'm THRILLED!! Installed the beta 6.51 this morning, and the addition of the Body Battery widget is already working awesome, although as noted the data isn't showing in the GC app as of yet. The DEM "downloading" procedures outlined by other commenters here are holding true for me as well, with the notable caveats that 1. I have to actually open the GC app on my iPhone for the download to start, and 2. I'm getting an error that "DEM Elevation is not available" after the retrieving process. That could be due to being in the backwoods of NC though, so we'll see if they get the bugs worked out. Here's hoping more features like these are coming down the pike soon for all of us!

• Any hints how I can get Garmin Connect to show me that Bodybattery data?

• Any hints how I can get Garmin Connect to show me that Bodybattery data?

Apparently you cannot. Perhaps later with the official release. It is not too bad, though, you can always check directly the watch.

• 1. I have to actually open the GC app on my iPhone for the download to start, and 2. I'm getting an error that "DEM Elevation is not available" after the retrieving process.

The DEM model needs to know your exact location, so make sure you do not try calibrating manually indoors. I do not know whether you have to acquire the position from GPS manually before the manual DEM calibration, or whether it happens implicitely, but if you want to be sure, turn the GPS on just before the DEM calibration.  During an outdoor activity, with auto-claibration over DEM, it happens automatically.

And when calibrating outodoors, it is safer to be on a flat terrain, because the accuracy of GPS is limited, so if you are on a slope, near a building, or similar, the elevation data coming from the DEM database can easily lead to a wrong calibration.

• Good thoughts overall—I can confirm your general points about gps accuracy are true from my experience using high-precision technology for land surveying for many years. As for the specific details of this DEM calibration, bearing in mind that this is a 3-day-old beta release thus far, I’m not too alarmed by what I’m seeing yet. When I hit “Calibrate with DEM,” GPS acquisition begins automatically, and after that is complete (a satisfactory fix), DEM retrieving commences, but returns no value. I have a feeling it’s likely either a network timeout issue from a slow cellular connection, or a server-side problem with no data available in my area yet...either of which are certainly understandable right now. For the specifics too, I’m a trained GIS (mapping) analyst, and I’ve dealt with actual DEMs in the line of work. Depending on the resolution Garmin is using (perhaps we could get some tech specs...please moderators?Smirk), a very basic fix of +/- 30m horizontal should suffice to accurately utilize most DEM data, although +/- 10m would certainly be better if the resolution for the cells (grid squares) is there. In more complex terrain, the differences in horizontal (and resolution) accuracy would of course be exaggerated though. I’m curious to see how things iron out—and definitely excited to see this tech coming to the Instinct!