Instinct weather displays “waiting for data” only on iOS, works fine on Android.

This is driving me crazy! I’ve tried this on 3 different iPhones, but the weather never displays on my Instinct with any of them. But I connected my watch with an Android phone and it displayed the weather instantly?

Bluetooth is on, location services are set to always, app is running in the background. All iPhones on latest update, Instinct on latest update. I’ve factory reset the watch multiple times, I’ve deleted and reinstalled the Garmin Connect app multiple times as well as reset my phone. My Garmin Connect app has access to everything that my iPhone 7 has to give it. 

What’s happening, am I missing something simple? Or is this an iPhone or Garmin software issue. I can’t be the only one since it doesn’t work with any iPhone I’ve tried.

TIA, Cam.

PS, this has been happening since day one when I got the watch, it’s been 1 month trying to fix it since. I’ve been into the shop where I got the watch from, and I’ve phoned Garmin direct but no one could help me. We’ve been through the usual trouble shooting on Garmin’s support page several times.

Top Replies

All Replies

• From your description it looks like a problem of the GC Mobile iOS app or an issue in iOS. Possibly there is some security feature blocking the requests or the delivery of the data from the weather data provider. I cannot imagine it could be a problem of the watch, since it would not work on Android either, in such case. Try connecting the iPhone to the Internet with WiFi if you previously tested with G4, and vice versa. Check the firewall settings. Check the permissions of the WiFi.

Would be interesting to know whether it happens also in another, possibly distant, location. Make sure to start the GPS on the watch, and wait till it acquires the satellites (the GPS symbol turns to the check sign), so that the watch can detect the new location. If it happens only in your location, the reason could be that iOS app cannot find or contact any data provider for your location, while Android perhaps can (or uses a more distant one instead). That would also explain why there are not more complaints about it, since if it is a problem of all iPhones, it would have impact not only on Instinct, it would not work on any Garmin watch using the standard widget.

Another level in localizing the problem would be the use of a network monitoring tool on the iPhone, and finding where the weather data are being requested from, and whether it is the request, or the delivery, that is being blocked. Or whether the response from the weather server arrives all right, without blocking, just with an empty reply. You can check for example this article: https://www.techjunkie.com/monitor-network-traffic-ios-iphone/ or google up "network monitoring iphone".

• I can confirm that weather is experiencing this same issue on Android.

• I can confirm that weather is experiencing this same issue on Android.

Works fine for me on Android, and it looks like it works on Android for  too.

• Check your location setting permissions. I'm not sure about IOS I'm an Android user.

I had mine set for the Garmin connect app to allow only while using the app. As soon as I changed it to allow location all of the time the weather widget began working. 

I hope this helps