instinct distance not working?

HI, Twice now in two very different locations the GPS distance has stopped working on my instinct. The speed works as does the timer but not the distance. To try to make it work I stop the activity, then try to save it but it just freezes on the screen. I hold the power button till the watch powers off then back on. The first time the GPS didnt work for over a week but then magically started again. I am hoping this wont be the case this time. does any one have any tips? Thanks

• Please ensure your firmware is fully up to date on your Instinct. You can update it with Garmin Express on your computer. Here are instructions if needed - How Do I Install Garmin Express? If you continue to have issues after ensuring your watch software is updated, please try soft resetting it by holding down the top left CTRL button until it powers off. If you continue to have issues with your Instinct GPS, please reach out to Outdoor Product Support in your region through the Support Center.

• Well, it started working on its own but now has stopped again for nearly a week. I am thinking this is either a defect or Garmin is not a good product. Should I return ?

• I am experiencing this same issue. I have never had any issue prior.

• How was this resolved?

It usually resolves itself by downloading a fresh EPO/CPE file. The safest way is connecting the watch over the USB cable and syncing in Garmin Express. Normally it happens over the GC Mobile app too, but since you typically start an activity just after stepping out, still in the reach of your WiFi, and then losing the connection, it often results in a broken EPO/CPE file and hence to the problems with GPS.

If syncing the EPO or CPE file does not help, power off and on your watch, then sync it over the USB cable again, and the try an outdoor activity. Preferably start the activity ony once you are sufficiently far from your WiFi, so that there is no delay before the phone switches to the mobile data.

• Been a while ago but if memory serves I did a full reset on the watch and it has worked ever since.

• Hello, I have same problem with my Garmin Instinct Solar Tactical, started few days ago, Track me not showing distance on phone, or on Garmin Connect

GPS working...

I shut down /power Off phone, didnt check if working now???

All Firmware software latest updated on Garmin Expresst

any idea whats problem and why ??? I didnt do anything

regards

• I am sorry there is an issue. There are two troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the behavior.

Please try the following:

- Soft reset your watch by holding down your top left button until your watch shuts off.

- Reset to Defaults by holding down your bottom right back button when powering on your watch and then selecting Yes to reset your watch.

• Hello Chris,

I Soft reset watch and it help, Distance and route back again,

Must be something with EPO or CPE files, while I had back injury and didnt start tracking for more then 2 months, and didnt sync watch with phone...

However, I did Update on Express, and watch was updated,

When I start Express, there was some update, but was not able to see what it is, probably those files EPO CPE ?

Anyway, working now, should not happen to Garmin...

Thanks, regards

• Hi Chris, I went for a Mountainbike ride this morning and experienced the same, HR and Time recorded, but not distance and map.

I just did a soft reset and hope that it will sort the problem.

I will test it a bit later, but what I found strange,  is that when I went into a Walk mode when I saw the distance did not record, it recorded in the Walk mode.

My GPS is on all my activities except the Indoor mode.