This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Instinct + InReach. Mini Only... No ANT+ on the InReach Explorer+

Although it was not the primary reason that I purchased this watch, a big part of what sealed the deal is the numerous ad-copy pieces, product manual information and tutorial information referring to how one can pair the Instinct to "InReach Devices".

How unfortunate it is, then to learn that what they mean by "InReach Devices" is actually "InReach MINI".

My $450 InReach Explorer+ will not connect to the Instinct, because for some seriously odd reason, Garmin chose to put an ANT+ chip in the $350 Mini, but not the other two more expensive screen-based mapping InReach units. It was almost immediate buyer's remorse when I found the setting to pair an InReach and it said "searching for ANT+ device. I knew immediately it wasn't going to work since I knew the InReach Explorer+ has no ANT+ chip. But I had no idea the Mini did... Again, a seriously weird design choice to put it in one but not the others, and basically not tell anyone about it.

Queue my frustration after hours of looking through documents trying to find where I missed them mentioning InReach Mini only. Nope.

I don't often do this. I've never actually said the words "false advertising" on a public forum before. But that's exactly what this is. I feel it's a big enough deal, with how expensive each of these deices are on their own, to actually mention it in hopes that Garmin decides to update their product manuals and online ad copy to reflect products with which the feature may actually be used.

I've also written this so that someone looking to use this device combo in the ways that I hoped to will notice it and not make the same "mistake" that I did. I hope this helps future users with their purchasing decision.

• I can’t defend the advertising. The facts are that only iR devices beginning with the Mini support ANT+. That includes the newer GPSMAP 66i. Prior devices were developed by DeLorme, before Garmin acquired them.

• I just realized this about 5 minutes ago...and from reading you post. Thanks for solidifying what I feared...my InReach Explorer won't talk to my brand new Fenix 6 Pro. Bogus.

Just left the Suunto "ecosphere" because of the supposed plays-nice promotion of the Garmin platform. It's not a killer deal...I can still pair it with my iPhone, but the idea is on reallly remote backcountry trips where there is litle to no cell service, why would I bring my phone anyway if I have my inReach? But since I can load the routes on my Fenix, and use the InReach as a secondary mapping tool, but more importantly the communication device with loved ones...I can deal with this.

Was just hopeful they'd all play nice considering how much coin I put out for both of these units.

• I just bought the instinct yesterday for the sole purpose to connect to my inreach explorer!  It even mentions connection to Inreach on the advertising!   Im furious.

• I received an InReach mini for Christmas last year. This year Santa brought me an Instinct. I just paired the two. Seems to be working fine for me. did you make sure that ENT plus feature is turned on in the settings of  the mini?

• Yes, it works with the mini. None of those posting to complain are complaining about the Mini. They are complaining about the legacy Explorer+.

• ...and wishing I had seen this before buying my Fenix 6X Sapphire with the hopes of it working with my InReach Explorer +...:'(

• Same here. Inreach+ has many other shortcomings. Why do we have to pay a higher monthly fee for breadcrumbs. All we need is to download from the gps. No need to uplod to iridium.

the fénix 6 iba amazing only with they have put as much thought with the inreach+

• Fenix 6 is an amazing piece of engineering. However Inreach+ Has many shortcoming. Not only it does not have ANT+, it does not have a simple course tracking. A user must pay the higher monthly fee in order to get a breadcrumb function.  It seems that Garmin decided to sell a sub par unit.

‘very disappointing.

• Information worth knowing regarding inReach devices:

Garmin did not design the Explorer+ and earlier inReach products being referred to. Delorme did. Those earlier generation inReach products came with our acquisition of Delorme. Once that inventory was depleted with the Delorme name, we put Garmin on them but they are still an older generation inReach device but they all works great for the inReach ability.

Our newer inReach products, starting with the inReach Mini and newer, we designed and released so they all have the ability to use ANT+ to connect between our outdoor watches and newer inReach devices so you can use the inReach Remote options.

Using the inReach Remote with Compatible Outdoor Watches and Handhelds (compatibility list)

• 2 month ago I  bought Garmin an  inreach+, not a Delrome. I expected it to be compatible with the Fenix I just bought. 
    the instruction mention connecting to Inreach in general.  It didn’t mentioned that it can only connect to the mini. So I paid 450$ for Inreach  + and 799 for Fenix and I can’t connect them to each other. Can You exchange the Inreach I just bought with a newer Inreach+model that has the ant+?