Fix: Insufficient space to install update

Howdy y'all,

Was very frustrated this afternoon at not being able to install the 5.10 update on my Instinct (Note: I originally wrote this post for version 5.10, but it works for any update version). Express kept throwing an error saying that there was insufficient space to install the update. With the watch plugged into my Mac, it was showing just 770 kb available. Deleting activity files from the macOS browser, Express, and the watch itself was not able to remedy the problem, nor did a delete and reset of the Instinct itself. The watch continued to show 770 kb and Express would not allow the update to proceed.

I discovered a fix for the problem in macOS. Standard disclaimer: you do this at your own risk and I'm not responsible for what happens to your watch if something goes wrong.

1. Back up your activities by syncing your Instinct to the Gamin Connect app.
  2. Clear your activities from your watch. This can be done by holding the MENU button on your Instinct, and selecting History > Options > Delete All Activities.
  3. Connect your Instinct to your computer.
  4. Once the Instinct is connected, in the macOS Finder menu bar at the top, go to Go > Computer (or hit Command + Shift + C) and find the removable drive labeled GARMIN.
  5. If you're like me, at this point you will see just two things in there: a file named AUTORUN.INF and a folder named /GARMIN.

[If you haven't already backed up your activities using the Connect app, then go into the /GARMIN folder and make a copy of the folder named /Activity onto your computer.]

6. There are hidden folders on your Instinct that macOS does not ordinarily show you. You can reveal these by using the shortcut Command + Shift + . [period].
  7. At this point you should see a hidden folder appear named /.Trashes. Right click on the folder and select Move to Trash.
  8. Now attempt to run the 5.10 update from the Express app.
  • Every few months I manually delete activities from the watch to obtain space. They are saved on Garmin Connect so there's no issue in deleting them.

• Same, but this was an interesting problem where deleting the activities did not, for reasons unknown, actually free up storage space on the Instinct (the files were just moved to the hidden /.Trashes folder). This is especially problematic given the 8 MB storage space issue that others have been discussing on the forums.

• This as a huge help.  Thank you.  It is surprising to me that the user has to do all this.  Why doesnt the instinct recognize when activities have been uploaded to Connect and clear them?  Or at least provide an option to do so.

• Glad it helped, Derek. I don't think this is something the user ordinarily has to do. There may be a timed/scheduled full delete of files marked for deletion (to allow for recovery if it was done in error), or it may require a device restart on the Garmin to fully delete them; I'll admit I haven't tried the latter myself. I think we run into this issue when we're trying to manually run or install an update, rather than letting the Instinct itself drive the process.

Thankfully, macOS lets you see those files flagged for deletion, making it pretty easy to delete them yourself.

• I've just hit the same problem, too. I can manually delete all activities and this will free up enough space and that's OK. But I want to be clear, I am supposed to always clean up old files when they become too many? I don't mind that, I just want to know, as it is not stated anywhere in the manual.

Also, it would be nice if I got alerted somehow. For a couple of days I was getting "Syncronization failed" and I was wondering why is that and today I realized the mobile app was trying to send an update, but the watch was rejecting it. I mean, there is a warning, but it is completely unclear what is wrong.

• Lot of space I got by deleting/uninstalling of some languages. Who needs all 28 languages?

• Lot of space I got by deleting/uninstalling of some languages. Who needs all 28 languages?

• True, but a) I would like to keep them, b) this is just going to delay the issue and most of all, it does not answer my question. Am I supposed to clean up old files and manage free space in general or the watch has to do it, but it fails for some reason?

• Am I supposed to clean up old files and manage free space in general or the watch has to do it, but it fails for some reason?

From what I observed, I'd tell it was designed not to need the user intervention (new activities removing the oldest ones when storage full), however the implementation of the auto clean-up is not well done, and fails for example when you upload new items via USB (like the update, and perhaps also workouts, courses, etc. - not tested). Hence I prefer cleaning the Activities folder regularly. And I removed all languages as well (you can install them back anytime easily), though as you correctly tell, it only gives you a bit more time, and does not really offer a fix.

• ... BTW, some information, thought not a clear definitive answer about the auto clean-up, is available in the Support document Removing Recorded Activities to Free Up Space on a Garmin Fitness Device

More specifically, it tells:

"Sometimes the available space may fill to the point where a software update cannot be installed or no further activities can be recorded or saved.  When you have this issue you will need to delete activity files from the device."