Instinct Display Technology

Hi,
I wonder how the monochrome, sunlight-visible, transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP) displays like the one on my Instinct works. Does it work like e-ink displays? The more light getting on the watch, the easier you see the display. When it's dark you can't see it at all. Image below.
  • I looked into this and responded to a similar question on Reddit a while back. Here's my comment from that thread:

Actually was curious about the display tech and went searching... Looks like all current gen Garmin devices' default state is "white" (fully reflective), but they all use a variation of MiP (Memory-in-Pixel) displays which work like E-Ink displays, in that they only consume power when updating each pixel [that needs updating], but once updated the pixel doesn't require any more power to remain in its final state, so it's effectively "off" while retaining state. The color displays seem to come from JDI, while the monochrome are Sharp.

So yeah, they're similar to E-Ink. They're like an E-Ink/LCD hybrid.
  • I looked into this and responded to a similar question on Reddit a while back. Here's my comment from that thread:

"Actually was curious about the display tech and went searching...Looks like all current gen Garmin devices' default state is "white" (fully reflective), but they all use a variation of MiP (Memory-in-Pixel) displays which work like E-Ink displays, in that they only consume power when updating each pixel [that needs updating], but once updated the pixel doesn't require any more power to remain in its final state, so it's effectively "off" while retaining state. The color displays seem to come from JDI, while the monochrome are Sharp."

Well, that's only partially true. The default (Off) state for the Instinct is indeed white, but the fenix2, tactix, fenix 3 and tactix Bravo all default to black - as do all the fenix 5 and 5 Plus series watches.

HTH

Interesting, thanks for the answer. Now I wonder how each pixel gets updated and how the black and white color filters works.
  • It's not like e-ink, although the result is similar. Have a look here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transflective_liquid-crystal_display

Interesting, thanks for the answer. Now I wonder how each pixel gets updated and how the black and white color filters works.
  • It seems like the white is its "natural state" (it is white when off) so the black dots/pixels are energy demanding.
    I wonder if a black on white (positive) display would be less energy consuming than a white on black (negative) display... and in what measure ?
  • It seems like the white is its "natural state" (it is white when off) so the black dots/pixels are energy demanding.
    I wonder if a black on white (positive) display would be less energy consuming than a white on black (negative) display... and in what measure ?

Again, no, this is incorrect. While it does look like white/transparent is the natural state for the current gen displays, the only time they consume energy is the moment a pixel is switched "on" and into a color (or black); but when energy is completely removed from the pixel, it retains its current state (i.e. doesn't require more energy to remain "on" — which is a misnomer, 'cause in this case it's not really "on" in the traditional sense, it is in fact "off", but retains state). That's why it's similar to E-Ink.

When the device is turned off, a "clear screen" event is triggered which actually consumes a bit of energy to, well, clear the screen.
  • Thank you for the information ! They could have triggered a "clear screen" all black then ! :-)

It also means the consumption of energy is relative to the refreshment of the screen. Better not use a "every second" watchface (heart rate and second display) to keep power ?
  • Thank you for the information ! They could have triggered a "clear screen" all black then ! :-)

It also means the consumption of energy is relative to the refreshment of the screen. Better not use a "every second" watchface (heart rate and second display) to keep power ?

Yeah, in fact that its stated in the owner's manual somewhere..
  • This choice of high contrasted black and white and the animations creates a feeling of retro futurism, like found on a a prop watch made for a science fiction film of the 90's. It adds a lot of charm to the Instinct. It gives to it a lot of elegance without trying to compete with OLED screens or the color screen of the Fenix series.
    Very nice design. Bold design.