Not receiving consistent notifications

Is anyone else having issues receiving notifications on a consistent basis? I seem to get notifications for a while and then won't get any. I will restart the watch and then will receive notifications for a while again. This has been going on for about two weeks now. Any ideas?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    danpmor Are you using an Android phone? I've noticed the same thing for about the same length of time on my 935. This happened to me about a year ago and I had to wait about a month for another Android update for GCM before it worked properly again. It started about the same time GCM was updated, so I'm assuming that's the issue again.
  • danpmor Are you using an Android phone? I've noticed the same thing for about the same length of time on my 935. This happened to me about a year ago and I had to wait about a month for another Android update for GCM before it worked properly again. It started about the same time GCM was updated, so I'm assuming that's the issue again.

No, I’m actually using an iPhone.
  • I have an Iphone as well and have the exact same issue. I was getting notifications and now they have completely stopped.
  • This issue is still ongoing even after the 3.10 update recently. I have a brand new iPhone XR and regularly will have issues with my Instinct not maintaining connection with my phone. Weather will not sync, HR/activities won’t sync, no notifications even though in my Bluetooth menu on my phone it shows as connected to the Instinct. I’ve taken to just turning my Bluetooth on my phone off and then on again. It usually starts syncing immediately after but then a few hours later, or sooner, I’m back to the same issue. Really getting annoying. Any fixes?
  • This issue is still ongoing even after the 3.10 update recently. I have a brand new iPhone XR and regularly will have issues with my Instinct not maintaining connection with my phone. Weather will not sync, HR/activities won’t sync, no notifications even though in my Bluetooth menu on my phone it shows as connected to the Instinct. I’ve taken to just turning my Bluetooth on my phone off and then on again. It usually starts syncing immediately after but then a few hours later, or sooner, I’m back to the same issue. Really getting annoying. Any fixes?

I don't think this is Garmins fault. The problem is that phone manufacturers, instead of investing to develop new battery technologies, choose the easy (and cheaper) way and built agressive task managers to extend battery life. Take a look at this page, though it's only for Android phones, but I can imagine Apple is doing also such tricks: https://dontkillmyapp.com/
    The most important sentence on the page: "Naturally users blame developers for their apps failing to deliver. But the truth is developers do the maximum they can. Always investigating new device specific hacks to keep their (your!) apps working. But in many cases they simply fall short as vendors have full control over processes on your phone."
  • I have been having this same issue for months as well (so has my wife - both of us with Fenix 5X devices). I have had a case open with Garmin for a long time. Recently, since they had no solutions, they sent us replacement watches, however this didn't resolve the issue either. I don't know whose issue this really is -- Garmin or Apple, but either way a fix needs to be put in place as it's annoying as HELL.

A couple of other side notes:
    1. You dont have to reset your watch -- just toggle Bluetooth off/on (either from the watch itself, or from your iPhone).... You can also walk away (outside of Bluetooth range) and back to fix it.
    2. We still get CALL notifications, but nothing else
    3. It seems to break anywhere between 2-6 hours after toggling Bluetooth off/on
    4. Running older watch code (8.20 for the Fenix 5X) did not fix the issue either
    5. Doing a factory reset on the watch does not resolve the issue
    6. Removing the Garmin app and reinstalling it on the iPhone does not resolve the issue either.

I would STRONGLY suggest EVERYONE having this problem call Garmin and get a support case created -- and tell them to attach you to the existing Garmin case for this problem. The last email communication I had from Garmin Support said they only have 32 people / cases with this problem so they essentially, do not see it is a big issue. I suspect a lot of people are just dealing with it instead of actually calling support.
  • I'm having the same issue...mostly after every night. I simply do a disconnect/connect of the phone in controls. Quick and easy.
  • But so annoying the same time...
    generally Instinct with iphones works like c.ap. The only "smart" feature im able to use are notifications - which surprisingly work all fine for me.
    Weather does not update, find my phone works only with Connect app on. On the other hand Fenix 3 has the same issues - so we are not alone.
    Otherwise - watch is great, but Garmin should be honest with the customers and tell them its does not really work with IOS devices.