This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VO2max Petition

One thing pretty much all Instinct owners and reviewers agree on is that the VO2max omission is odd for a device at this price point, considering lower-tiered devices have it.

Adding it would make the Instinct a much easier purchase for lots of runners who would prefer this style of watch/display over the color models, just based on gauging reactions from personal encounters, as well as countless others around the internet.

Garmin team seems pretty good at responding to user feedback [sometimes], so let's see if we can draw their attention and hopefully get this feature added to our Instincts.

Reply to this post below if you support this petition!
  • To all if you that you said that you don't need VO2max feature I have to tell that you don't need it because you never used it before, when you use it you will want it, also all of you said that you bought the watch knowing that it lacks this feature, well think again, there are even more than you that do didn't buy it because it 8s the way it is and some of them will buy it if they introduce it even now 2 years after the launch of this watch.

About the purpose that Garmin build this specific watch I have to mention something.... They wanted to hit the market where Casio has almost the monopoly, at G-shocks!  There are many people including all of us here that want a rugged milspec watch and we can't afford 5he tactix line or we think it's too big and fancy!

So they tried to hit the sales of G-shocks and they made it right, but now Casio hits back with their first watch with pulse monitor and VO2max and it's also solar..... Some people say that instict 2 comes with solar too but Casio's solar can work forever at Smartwatch mode (at least that's what they say) and for Garmin to hit that they have to built the instict 2 to have solar that will be better than their flagship which is the fenix 6 solar that uses solar only to prolong battery its life and not to cover all its energy needs at Smartwatch mode!

So in conclusion, instict was a good choice up to 1 year ago, now is waay wayy back than it's competition and even if the rumors about instict 2 come true, garmin will have to give 8t a feature that will ruin the flagship line.... So it's a problem they created building lines that miss something to give it at another one... If instict 2 will have slthe absolute solar capabilities the fenix 6 solar owners will feel very doaspointed for their choice and that can't be any more true if you see what we discuss here right now!

Personally I really want that VO2max at my instict and that's why I Google and find this topic, bu lt I strongly doubt if they will do it soon... Maybe they will do it later on when they will want to sell the last stocks of that really good watch!!!

To close this I will definatetly go to change to Casio if they don't put everything in instict 2 and instict 2 tactical... I'll go for the tactical only 8f it will have more than I want and not even a small feauter less!!!!

• To all if you that you said that you don't need VO2max feature I have to tell that you don't need it because you never used it before, when you use it you will want it, also all of you said that you bought the watch knowing that it lacks this feature, well think again, there are even more than you that do didn't buy it because it 8s the way it is and some of them will buy it if they introduce it even now 2 years after the launch of this watch.

About the purpose that Garmin build this specific watch I have to mention something.... They wanted to hit the market where Casio has almost the monopoly, at G-shocks!  There are many people including all of us here that want a rugged milspec watch and we can't afford 5he tactix line or we think it's too big and fancy!

So they tried to hit the sales of G-shocks and they made it right, but now Casio hits back with their first watch with pulse monitor and VO2max and it's also solar..... Some people say that instict 2 comes with solar too but Casio's solar can work forever at Smartwatch mode (at least that's what they say) and for Garmin to hit that they have to built the instict 2 to have solar that will be better than their flagship which is the fenix 6 solar that uses solar only to prolong battery its life and not to cover all its energy needs at Smartwatch mode!

So in conclusion, instict was a good choice up to 1 year ago, now is waay wayy back than it's competition and even if the rumors about instict 2 come true, garmin will have to give 8t a feature that will ruin the flagship line.... So it's a problem they created building lines that miss something to give it at another one... If instict 2 will have slthe absolute solar capabilities the fenix 6 solar owners will feel very doaspointed for their choice and that can't be any more true if you see what we discuss here right now!

Personally I really want that VO2max at my instict and that's why I Google and find this topic, bu lt I strongly doubt if they will do it soon... Maybe they will do it later on when they will want to sell the last stocks of that really good watch!!!

To close this I will definatetly go to change to Casio if they don't put everything in instict 2 and instict 2 tactical... I'll go for the tactical only 8f it will have more than I want and not even a small feauter less!!!!

• There is 1 more feature that comes along with VO2max... It's the Training effect and also the body battery feature that they put in the watch 2 months ago needs the vo2max to make more presice calculations. Now without it is like they give us a half feature of body battery!!! 

To close this I will definatetly go to change to Casio if they don't put everything in instict 2 and instict 2 tactical... I'll go for the tactical only if it will have more than I want and not even a small feauter less!!!!

• But the million dollar question is: does the Instinct hardware support VO2max or not? Thank you.
  • the body battery feature that they put in the watch 2 months ago needs the vo2max to make more presice calculations. Now without it is like they give us a half feature of body battery!

I'm curious. VO2Max and Body Battery are measuring two completely different things at two different times. Both features are licensed by FirstBeat and reading FirstBeat's literature I found no mention of VO2Max being part of their calculations for Body Resources (Body Battery). What makes you believe it's required and you're only getting partial data without it?

www.firstbeat.com/.../

• I just bought an Instinct to replace my 235 (purchased just last week). The 235 died due to water ingress (4 years old) so I wanted a new watch that might be a bit more waterproof.i surf, swim, run, bike, whatever, with my watch. Research indicates all these watches have a definite service life so I figured if I'm going to be replacing one every few years, I'm not going to spend huge$ on one. The lack of VO2 max has come as a complete surprise. It's obviously only a firmware function as every sensor that's required is there. C'mon Garmin, fix this omission.

• Why are you telling me this and why do you think it's relevant to the question I asked 9058036?

• I support this petition. I myself am the owner of instinct. Who says buy more expensive devices if you want this feature, my answer will be like this. It's not about price, but in progress! Now the Garmin Instinct has a competitor Amazfit Ares with a cost of only 70$, they have a military standard 810g, an altimeter, a barometer, gps with a Sony chip, a color transflective display, they measure Vo2max, and many sports modes. Instincts without a promotion cost 300$, is it really hard to hear your users and activate this vo2max function? Thank you for adding new features to this watch, and I really hope that you add Vo2max. If developers are prevented from adding this feature by the marketing department, then I will tell you this. I do not compare you with the quality of the assembly with Amazfit, but what will happen if you did not hear your users today having the opportunity to do it in this watch, but don’t, and after 3 years you will catch up with the quality of the Amazfit watch or will be close to such quality as time when the time comes to change the clock, and this I say from your users, who are not too late to say YES. I ask you not to be like Nokia at the time. Please add this feature, as these are the realities of the market at the moment. Ignoring them in software means ignoring the future. Thank you for understanding, and for adding new features, I hope the developers, marketers will give light to add this feature to the watch)

• Thank you to everyone for your feedback on wanting VO2 Max added to the Instinct watch. Please note: there is no PulseOX sensor built into the backside of your Instinct watch. Consequently, PulseOX is a physical impossibility.

We will all have to wait and see what the future will hold for the next generation. The Instinct is my personal favorite Outdoor watch and I wear it more than my Fenix 6X Pro Solar. I look forward to the next generation Instinct!

Everyone have a nice summer!