This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Instinct and inReach Pairing

Yesterday I sat down with my Instinct and inReach Explorer + and tried to get them to communicate with no luck. It's not really a feature that is critical to me, but I was interested in seeing how it worked considering I happen to have both devices. I could see it being handy if I strap my inReach on a backpack and don't want to take it off to manipulate it, although the same can be accomplished with my phone.

I followed what instructions I could find, basically add the iR widget, select, and it tries to pair. BT is enabled on my iR however it is paired to my phone. I attempted to add another device on the iR but the Instinct still never saw it, and the iR never saw the Instinct. I disabled BT on my phone to keep it from interfering, but attempts with and without the phone's BT in the picture all failed.

The only thing I did not do is remove my phone as a paired device on the iR. I'd rather not really as I have Earthmate on there, and I'm having no issues with the phone and iR communicating via BT.

Now I had initially seen some conflicting info on if the Instinct communicated solely with the inReach Mini or if the Explorer handheld units also worked. All the documentation I've found from Garmin generically says "inReach device" thus not excluding the Explorer.

Anyone know some silly reason the two won't communicate, procedure I'm missing, step I skipped? As mentioned, it's not a critical feature to me, but I did think it was cool feature on the Instinct, and would like to mess with it. Who knows, it might actually be very handy.
  • Yesterday I sat down with my Instinct and inReach Explorer + and tried to get them to communicate with no luck. It's not really a feature that is critical to me, but I was interested in seeing how it worked considering I happen to have both devices. I could see it being handy if I strap my inReach on a backpack and don't want to take it off to manipulate it, although the same can be accomplished with my phone.

I followed what instructions I could find, basically add the iR widget, select, and it tries to pair. BT is enabled on my iR however it is paired to my phone. I attempted to add another device on the iR but the Instinct still never saw it, and the iR never saw the Instinct. I disabled BT on my phone to keep it from interfering, but attempts with and without the phone's BT in the picture all failed.

The only thing I did not do is remove my phone as a paired device on the iR. I'd rather not really as I have Earthmate on there, and I'm having no issues with the phone and iR communicating via BT.

Now I had initially seen some conflicting info on if the Instinct communicated solely with the inReach Mini or if the Explorer handheld units also worked. All the documentation I've found from Garmin generically says "inReach device" thus not excluding the Explorer.

Anyone know some silly reason the two won't communicate, procedure I'm missing, step I skipped? As mentioned, it's not a critical feature to me, but I did think it was cool feature on the Instinct, and would like to mess with it. Who knows, it might actually be very handy.

Hello,

The inReach pairs to the Instinct via a ANT+ connection, not a Bluetooth connection.

You want to make sure that ANT+ is enabled on the inReach before going to the widget. Once ANT+ is enabled, go to the inReach widget, choose Pair, and after a few seconds of searching, it will pop-up with your inReach device followed by the device name.

Hope this helps!

Luke
    Garmin Outdoor SW Quality Team
  • The inReach pairs to the Instinct via a ANT+ connection, not a Bluetooth connection.

Thank you. Far as I've seen my inReach Explorer + has no ANT+ capability, or at least none I can find.
  • Thank you. Far as I've seen my inReach Explorer + has no ANT+ capability, or at least none I can find.

I am pretty fed up at this because it was one of the reasons I purchased the Instinct. I too have an inReach Explorer + but the Garmin website now states that it is compatible with the inReach MINI ..... which presumably has ANT+

Not happy about that.

• I can confirm the pairing works well with the InReach Mini. I would have purchased the Instinct without this integration with the Mini. However, having used it now climbing a dozen peaks it is now one of my favorite features. Besides being able to easily turn on and off tracking it allows me to easily send preset messages. My preset (read free messages) message strategy is as follows for peak bagging:

Preset #1: Reached Trail Head - All is well. DO NOT REPLY

Preset #2: Summit Achieved! - All is well. DO NOT REPLY

Preset #3: Progress Tracking Point - All is well. DO NOT REPLY

I send message #3 whenever I'm about to get into something sketchy and after I have completed the sketchy section. I'll also send it if my plans change or just want to update wifey on my progress. For multi-night efforts I'll send two #3 messages from the same location indicating I'm safely at camp. In either case I send these in pairs if all is well and to create a two point vector if it's a change in route. With MapShare on it sends a link to a topo map with my location. All of this is only necessary if you are cheap like me and have the least expensive InReach plan (Safety Plan).

I'll send #1 When I get back to the trail head to confirm I'm safely off the mountain.

The Instinct paring with the Mini allows me to send messages on the move with ease.

• I don't see any option for ANT+ on my Explorer+.  Bought this watch specifically because it was advertised to pair with inReach.  

• It only pairs with the inReach Mini.

• On my Instinct when I go to the Inreach widget it just says 'Loading' and never loads.  I confirmed that the watch is connected to the Mini and I am outside while I am doing this.  Any tips to get this to work?

• Nevermind, it eventually connected.

• I have exactly the same problems. And as it is never finishing with 'Loading', I can't send a message. I hope it would send the SOS demand, but as it sais "You should only use the SOS function in a real emergency situation." it's no way to try it and in a emergency it will be to late....