Instinct Solar Crashing Randomly

Having same issue as everyone else. Got my Instinct Solar in October 2020. It has recently started randomly crashing (despite having over 50% battery remaining) and the only way to get it to work again is to plug it in for a few seconds. I’ve tried different resets and I know my software is up to date. Reached out to support and all they offered was for $140 they would send me a refurbished watch with a 90 day warranty and I would have to pay to send my watch back. I’m pissed. These watches aren’t cheap and it worked great before this started happening. No way I’d spend $140 for a refurbished watch that could easily start doing this same thing. Garmin knows this is an issue and they should figure out a fix or replace our watches. Loved this product, but I wouldn’t buy another Garmin due to lack of customer service. I didn’t spend $400 to have the product malfunction in two years with no support or repair options. 

• Mine is doing exactly the same. Randomly crashing have to plug in to restart. I use it for hiking and running or at least I did.  Bought same time as OP.  Useless piece of junk. Never ever will buy garmin again. 

• My Solar Instinct replacement unit that I got in  May 2022 is now happily randomly crashing once it hits 22 days of battery life. I'm so frustrated.  Anyone has any suggestions on a better watch that has long battery life for outdoor use? I'm giving up on Garmin. 

• Same here, started crashing randomly. Pressing twp top buttons simultaneously for 10 sec brings watch back to life. Seems that syncing occurs before crash as workout is saved. I hope Garmin has a fix!

• My Instinct solar has started randomly powering off, too.  Purchased Jun'21.  I am gutted to read all the frustrated comments due to inaction by Garmin.  I've had a great experience over many years with several Garmin watches / bike computer until this.   It's less than 2yrs old. An expensive watch should last longer than that !  Very disappointed.  Mine's out of warranty but will be quoting the Consumer Act with the retailer I purchased it from.  
    A friend who bought the same watch at the same time (he got a refund) has now bought a Samsung.  Cheaper, reliable, better screen.   
    Mine powers off randomly (usually during a recorded activity) but also stopped recording data during the night recently, too. Up-to-date SW & charged.  

• Same problem here. randomly shuts down. Should be a full refund. Will never buy garmin or recommend their watches/products again. Pure rubbish. Restarting the watch DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!

• Just to update everyone: 

I went back to my local Garmin store to send my Instinct Solar replacement unit back again yesterday. So I decided to take the risk and purchased the Instinct 2 (Not- Solar). Apparently, there has been continuous unresolved issues with mainly the Instinct Solar (1 & 2). So... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this won't happen to my Solar 2. Tbh, I really like the rugged Instinct, and battery life. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

• Sorry you’ve had issues. No issues here on my 2 yr old Instinct Solar on latest firmware 

• It was an anniversary gift from my wife in 2019. About 6 months ago I started getting random crashes. I contacted support they said $150 and here is a 20% of coupon that I could spend on new products. Back to Casio.

• I found out that turn off all vibration ( alerts, sound, smart notification, alarms ) then my device stops crashing

• Oh, trust me, I've tried all that. To the point that I was using the most basic features. The last straw was when it started randomly shutting down once it got to 22 days of battery. Anyway, update from my local Garmin service center, they want me to pay 1/4 the price of the original watch to get it fixed/or replaced. If this 2nd unit is suffering the exact same issue as my 1st, why should I pay for a 2nd replacement unit that will probably shut down on me in under 6 months again? Grrrr...