White or Black Background for Battery Saving?

Hi everyone,

I would like to know which of the background color options actually saves more battery?

The black background with white information or vice versa?

Thank you for your time,

Cheers,

Top Replies

All Replies

• How about you doing the same.

Reread my posts, I provided both - the evidence and the logical reasoning. Did not see anything opposing it.

• Explain why the guy at DCRainmaker does not mention the transparent Power Glass, that has the biggest surface, and every single article about solar powered watches on Garmin's website speaks about it as the main source of solar power? And explain how comes the display background is white, when is is made of solar cells absorbing light?

• You've provided no evidence.  All you've posted are a lot of misspelled words and how you believe the watch is designed.  When you can prove that there's no panel behind the display, then you've provided evidence.  It really is that simple.  

• Explain why the guy at DCRainmaker does not mention the transparent Power Glass,

You want me to answer for someone else?  Like I said earlier, it's about credibility.  I choose to believe what DCR says based his history and the fact that Garmin and other manufacturers continue to send him their products for review.  Common sense tells me these manufacturers wouldn't keep sending their products (endorsing his reviews) if they were incorrect.  I said in all fairness to you to post your credentials and then we (the forum readers) can make a decision on what information we find to be correct.  Don't take it personal because I believe DCR over you.  Give me a reason to believe otherwise.  So far I've only heard your interpretation on what someone else said.  Give me facts, not what you think.  

Here's an example of your argument:

the transparent Power Glass, that has the biggest surface, and every single article about solar powered watches on Garmin's website speaks about it as the main source of solar power?

Who said it wasn't the main source?  You've continuously defend your argument by asking questions based on things that were never said.

• Who said it wasn't the biggest surface?

That was not the question. The question was why DCRainmaiker spends the time on speaking about (imaginary) solar cells behind the dislplay with marginal output, mentioning the cells around the display too, but not at all mentioning the main (and rather revolutionary) source - the Power Glass?

Not only that, he clearly tells there are two types of solar cells - around the display (not disputed), and behind the display. It means he is either wrong, or he denies or ignores the existence of the transparent solar panel on the watchface. Now tell me more about their credibility, and about them having detailed information from Garmin.

When you can prove that there's no panel behind the display, then you've provided evidence.

What about you providing the evidence there are some solar cells under the display? My evidence is simple - the background could not be reflective white if it were covered by solar cells. Laws of physics do not lie.

• What about you providing the evidence there are some solar cells under the display?

I can't prove there isn't a 40 foot, three-headed purple elephant living in the forest behind me.  But since I'm not the one making the accusation, there burden of proof doesn't fall on me.  You're the one saying the solar cells don't exist; it's your burden.

if there were any solar cells behind the display, the background could not be reflective white

It wouldn't work as well with the white background.  What if you were using the black background?  Oh no!  Another hurdle to get over you can only answer with more speculation.

• I can't prove there isn't a 40 foot, three-headed purple elephant living in the forest behind me

Exactly! But when you claim the elephant is there (and that's what you do), you should back it with some evidence (other than belief).

What if you were using the black background?

Black background is not the background - it is the pixels of the display. So the cells could not be under the display anyway. Learn more about MIP displays. The MIP display features an internal reflection layer that improves outdoor visibility. It means that they are not transparent at all, hence if you place a solar panel behind it, it will not get any light at all.

• Just for the illustration - this is the type of display (MIP) used in Instinct. Now imagine what a solar cell placed beneath it can harvest.