White or Black Background for Battery Saving?

Hi everyone,

I would like to know which of the background color options actually saves more battery?

The black background with white information or vice versa?

Thank you for your time,

Cheers,

Top Replies

All Replies

• it clearly shows where the Power Glass transparent solar panel is.

I don't see where there are no panels under the display in the video. What did stand out to me was when it was said, "The solar traces are virtually invisible to the naked eye, and they cover almost all entire surface of the lens."

Yes, definitely wrong, apparently they do not understand at all how it works.

Hmm?  This is a clip of an article from Wired where they clearly point out an additional strip around the display.

As per last year’s Fenix 6X Solar, there’s a layer of photovoltaic solar cells that’s below chemically strengthened Gorilla glass, invisible to the wearer and always on, harvesting solar energy. There's also the return of a 1mm strip of photovoltaic cells around the display.

So, if it's an additional strip around the display, where do you suppose the other cells are located?   DCRainmaker posts his reviews based on specifications provided by Garmin. Do you think he made this up and arbitrary came up with the 10% figure? 

• I do not understand what was not clear in my posts, but here you go again:

Instinct Solar uses the transparent solar panel of the brand name Power Glass, which is above the display, definitely not under the display. It is unclear to me where in the video or anywhere else you see the Power Glass under the display. And it is also incomprehensible why would somebody think that placing transparent solar cells under the display could work better than placing them above it.

In addition to the Power Glass over the entire watchface, that harvests especially the IR and UV light (letting the visible light through), there are also solar cells around the display, under the glass. In contrary to the Power Glass, these solar cells harvest primarily the visible light, since the IR+UV light was already filtered by the Power Glass.

• ... i hope the following picture will definitely make it clear that the transparent solar panel Power Glass is above and not under the display (although you can see it as clearly on the previous video too):

• It is unclear to me where in the video or anywhere else you see the Power Glass under the display

The statement you said was "nonsense" was that there are no solar panels beneath the display.  Your video doesn't prove or disprove additional panels under the display. You're the only who keeps saying the power glass.

And it is also incomprehensible why would somebody think that placing transparent solar cells under the display could work better than placing them above it

Better?  Again, you're the only one saying this. In DCRainmaker's article, he says the solar panels (not glass) behind the the display assist with 10% of its capability. No one said placing the panels under the display is better than above it.  You're falsely insinuating that's what others are claiming.

You may find the video timeline of 2:44 to 3:34 quite interesting.  Maybe not.

Garmin Instinct Solar Review: 9 New Things to Know! - YouTube

• You may find the video timeline of 2:44 to 3:34 quite interesting.  Maybe not.

Yes, it is interesting because it prooves that the guy has no idea what he is speaking about. He tells the solar cells around the diplay harvest 100% of the solar energy which is a clear nonsense. The efficiency of commercial solar cells is typically under 20%, but in the case of Garmin watches, the efficiency is lower than that, because the IR and UV part of the spectrum is filtered out by the Power Glass (it is transparent only to the visible spectrum of the light).

The efficiency of the 2nd solar panel (the transparent panel above the display) is indeed somewhere below 10%, but since it occupies the full area of the watchface (unlike the internal cells around the display), it is in fact the bigger source of solar power, despite its lower efficiency.

One of the few claims the guy got right is the one telling there are two types of solar cells. We all agree that there are standard cells around the display. Hence the second one cannot be anything else that the transparent Power Glass solar panel, which is clearly shown both on the video as well as on the photo, previously posted.

• Yes, it is interesting because it prooves that the guy has no idea what he is speaking about.

OK trux.  I don't know if you're familiar with DCRainmaker, but I'll give you a little background on him that may sound like a plug, but it isn't.  He's a tri-athlete coming from 15 years experience working IT.  He's had a blog and website for years with thousands of followers and probably thousands more who occasionally visit his site.  His unbiased reviews and popularity has had every major manufacture of sports/fitness devices send him their products weeks before they are released to the public so he can test, compare and review them.  He works hand in hand with representatives of those manufactures.  He makes it a point to state that these are not "freebies" and they are all returned once his review is completed.  If he were to state something that was incorrect, rest assured Garmin would have said something and it would have been retracted.  Or are we to believe these manufacturers keep sending him their products at their own freewill after he makes false claims?  It's all about credibility.  So, in all fairness to you, please give us your credentials so we know why your claim that he is wrong and has no idea what he's talking about is in fact true and that we should believe what you have to say.

• Got it trux.

Is this your only argument? Rather provide some evidence supporting your view, or at least some logical reasoning. 

Solar panel under the display is simply nonsense, and anyone who ever attended physics lessons, should understand why. The transparent solar panel (which is indiscutable, and documented) lets through only the visible light (using primarily UV+IR), hence any solar cells beneath it can only harvest the remaining visible spectrum. And if there were any solar cells absorbing visible light under the display, you could never see the white background.

• He tells the solar cells around the diplay harvest 100% of the solar energy which is a clear nonsense. The efficiency of commercial solar cells is typically under 20%,

Again, you're twisting what is actually said.  He never said the outer rim is taking 100% of the suns energy.  He's clearing stating the outer rim has a 100% unobstructed view to available sunlight as opposed to the panel behind the display that only has a 10% level to exposure.

• Rather provide some evidence supporting your view,

Really?  How about you doing the same.