This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Backlight always on with "wrist gesture"

Tl;Dr; - When running with "Wrist Gesture" setting on, the Backlight stays turned on all the time.

I talked with Garmin and they said that they will "note my id in the case and will let me know if they intend to address this" - So they are not actively looking into this.

So my question is - Is this working correctly for anyone? When you run, does the backlight only turns on when you rotate your wrist upwards?

• I'd say mine stays on 80-90% of the run. I will sometimes get annoyed enough to manually shut it off though.  

• No. It only turns on when I deliberately flick my wrist to look at the watch. I can imagine that it would be possible that some mechanics could activate it unintentionally. 

• Thanks! May I ask which version you are running?

• I have 10.41 on f7X but the behavior of the feature is unchanged for me from the 5X and 6X. 

• I set my 7X to "gesture, after sunset" for activities.

It works as intended, albeit starting earlier than "sunset" time.

Example: the watch says sunset is 7pm and twilight is 6:40pm. The backlight will be activated with gesture at 6:30pm. I'm not sure if it's a bug or how the watch decides when it's considered sunset.

• The backlight will be activated with gesture at 6:30pm.

Apparently that's because Garmin decided twilight starts ~30mins before sunset when light begins to fade. To be fair to Garmin on that one there are a number of definitions of when twilight begins depending on whether it's Civil, Nautical, or Astronomical twilight. I've always used 30mins before sunset, which came from when I was gliding.

• Thanks.

I have 7x sapphire and have the gesture after sunset setting on (plus touch and on alerts) 

once I start running, it’s dark outside, and my hands start swinging (normally for run, I’m not some wild hand swinger Smiley) the light will turn on and just stay on. 

if this is only happening for a few devices - I’m starting to suspect a hardware issue…? Gyroscope maybe? I had the problematic compass issue too. 

• Just started for me in the last couple months. Please let me know if you get any resolution. I have been in contact with Garmin too. 

• I have this issue as well. When I am running after sunset or before sunrise, the backlight stays on most of the time even when I am focusing on not turning my wrist. It clearly is not working as intended. 

• also see here forums.garmin.com/.../1537267; this issue was reported in the fenix 6 beta threads forums.garmin.com/.../gesture-during-activity-does-not-turn-off-backlight and by email to outdoor.beta team (even before the start of the beta program) but was happily ignored with no feedback until recently.

the backlight should turn off by timeout OR wrist down, whichever comes first - this behavior works ok in smartwatch mode, but not in activity mode.

the root cause of the problem is that the gesture (wrist up) during activity turns on the backlight but it's never turned off by wrist down (as in smart watch mode); then, during running, the backlight appears to be constantly on probably because the watch is registering "false" wrist up motions before the backlight times out and no "wrist down" is registered.

There are also a few other scenarios where the backlight activation does not obey the user settings; a few examples: gps signal detection still in progress, pulse ox detection in progress, turning off an alarm.

These hardware quirks probably get by garmin tersters because they are testing mainly on software simulators, and the testing on actual hardware is done by customers enrolled in beta... So basically, some of us pay garmin for the honor of being beta testers Slight smile