This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

9.33/9.36 has ruined heart rate monitoring!

Hi!

After upgrading my my fenix 7 to 9.33 I have noticed a few odd things about the heart rate that's displayed/recorded on my watch. Here's what I noticed:

First run with the new Firmware: My old H7 chest strap sensor, which worked fine before, showed sudden drops in HR of about 30 bpm while running at a constant pace. (H7 has a fresh battery.)

I thought was just the chest strap, but then I noticed sudden mayor changes in HR with the integrated HR sensor as well, when I was just at home. Within 2 seconds it jumped or dropped by about 20 bpm.

Also, when I stand up after sitting for a while, my heart rate does not change at all on the watch. It keeps showing mid to high 40s. However I can clearly feel that it's way off for about 15 to 20s and then it starts "catching up". > Again I big jump in HR on the watch. I tested this multiple times by comparing it to the data from my H7 + old watch where it behaved as expected – a gradual increase in HR.

I also restarted the watch which didn't help and I made sure I was wearing it correctly. (I wore it the same way before upgrading the firmware.)

Before the upgrade it felt very reliable and now I don't know what to think. Has anybody else noticed something similar? Any suggestions on what to do now?

Thanks,

Michael

• I have polar h10

What have Polar to say?

• I believe that the problem is not with the polar, I tested it in other equipment and it is normal.

• I believe that the problem is not with the polar, I tested it in other equipment and it is normal.

I have been using H10 for about 4 years and find it very reliable. It can be glitchy however when the battery remaining charge is low. In my case, I did actually get a low battery notification recently, so perhaps that affected the quality of R-R data. I have now replaced the battery and will repeat my test with the H10 connected to two watches. 

The point I wanted to make is that Garmin likely consumes the R-R stream of data and then reconstructs the HR from that. Perhaps when the data is noisy Garmin smoothens it more. But that is just my speculation. It isn't possible to not smoothen the R-R data; otherwise it would go up and down with every inhale and exhale, and the effect of that would be higher at a lower effort - the lower the stress the higher the HRV. 

• I've done everything: I changed the battery; I updated the strap software and even disabled ant+. The problem is with the Garmin software because it works flawlessly on other devices.
  • If HR measurements worked correctly before Fenix software update, than current HR issues are clearly due to software update.

• I've done everything: I changed the battery; I updated the strap software and even disabled ant+. The problem is with the Garmin software because it works flawlessly on other devices.

My side I just cannot reproduce this issue, regardless of HR belt used - with the Polar H10 this morning. I posted a 3 hour ride with the HRM Pro a few days ago and could see no evidence the F7 was somehow altering or not recording the HR data correctly.  And it seems no different with the H10.

Here is some data from my Indoor ride today from a indoor session on RGT - 4 recording devices in total.

The H10 was connected via ANT+ to my laptop, and Fenix 7 (shown in Green). A Coros Vertix 2 was connected to the H10 via Bluetooth (it has no ANT+, shown in purple)

A Garmin Epix used it's own wrist sensor, and was not connected to the H10 (in red  below) - the Epix 2 is really close to the H10 apart from a few dips here and there.

The EPIX2 and F7 are on 10.37 firmware. Note: For some reason DCR's tool doesn't quite align everything probably because it takes me a few seconds to start all 4 devices, but the trends match up.

I probably do 20+ hours a week of activities so I do not understand why I don't see this issue - I do have multiple devices recording too so cross checking is always occuring.

• When there are software problems not everyone is affected, I don't understand why but that's it.. I monitor 4-5 activities a week from strength training, biking, hiking, climbing all from the wrist

On the chest straps I cannot express I don't use them, and it's strange that some users also have problems with external sensors, but the wrist readings have problems that were not there before

• Too be honest I always use external sensors so I don't really care about wrist HR but wrist HR seems to be working well, although indoor riding is easy for wrist HR. 

• Using an upper arm sensor to phone and the F7s on wrist. I think there's very little difference overall in the current firmware I'm running. Here's a fartlek session from last week. The sensor linked to my phone screwed up twice, once at around 4km and near the end. Oddly always when I ran into some thorough wind (was wearing a jacket)The watch has a few odd moment when I increased pace, but it's not as bad as it used to for me. Note: both devices recorded distance slightly different. So I had to stretch the Garmin data a bit. Still not a perfect fit.