Fenix 5 series and Chronos - 24.71 Public Beta

Hello Fenix 5 series and Chronos customers,

We have new beta software ready for your upcoming adventures!

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Fenix 5s: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11661
Fenix 5: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11663
Fenix 5x: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11665
Fenix Chronos: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14862

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

24.712 Change Log Notes:

• Fixed a potential issue with bike lights turning on before starting an activity.
  • Fixed an issue of receiving multiple inReach lost connection messages.
  • Fixed an issue with first lap times.
  • Fixed a potential issue with sensor software version being reported incorrectly.
  • Fixed potential issues with course syncing with Express.
  • Fixed issue with taking screenshots.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

Fenix 5S/5/5X:

GPS: 2.70
Wi-Fi: 2.40
BLE/ANT/SNS: 6.91

Chronos:

GPS: 2.70
BLE/ANT: 2.50
SNS: 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the fenix 5 series you have in the subject line.

• started to think we had been forgotten !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Damn it is faster at connecting to my tempe and Suunto HRM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Even seems faster with phone connect too.....

• And I can confirm Screenshot function on the Fenix5x  has been fixed......................

• Am I reading that right that this software is not available for Australian users?

• Sadly I am not seeing better Tempe behavior on 24.71 beta with ANT 6.91

This is hour ride on indoor bike today on 24.71, fresh battery in Tempe and it is literally 3 feet away on a wall hook, nothing inbetween it and my wrist (HRM-TRI for ANT+ HR)

Despite pre-start warmup to let all the sensors connect, you can see the Fenix5s starts with the watch wrist temperature, a minute later sees the Tempe and switches to that, then around 33 minutes in decides the Tempe has vanished/disconnected and switches back to the wrist for a few minutes, then sees the Tempe again (anything above 75 degrees is wrist/watch internal.

Tempe is such a dumb old sensor. $30 device that is way overpriced, only broadcasts once a minute, larger than Stryd pod but only broadcasts temperature, not barometer or humidity and doesn't even have real ANT+ behavior, can't alert to low voltage, doesn't even store a serial number in memory if lost/stolen.

The worst part is actually hidden. The way Garmin wrote Tempe support into watches was not to store it as an extra field per record (second) in the FIT file but to DISPLACE the wrist temperature. So you lose the wrist data which is handy to see how much you are overheating (you can kinda guess rising body temperature from it if you know room temperature).

• I am not able to update the watch with this update. I have updated my watch on many occasions with beta updates like this. On this occasion, event though I can see the Gupdate file and the Garmin Directory and the sensor file in the RemoteW directory, the watch is not triggering an update when disconnected. I also tried switching it off then on and still no update is being triggered.

• I finally got the install prompt after about 4 attempts, re-copying the files on several occasions. The install worked and the sensor file has been updated in the about screen to 6.91

• Before emailing with the issue I thought I would post here to see if others have the issue first.

I have hourly chime active on my Fenix 5x.. In the past it would beep wih the a black screen with the time in small white text.. With this update it Still does this but has a half drawn watch face imposed over it... This is the first time I have had this issue and happens when the hourly chime is active