5x: Overlay of track on map without navigation?

something that my hand-held gps unit can do is that i can start recording any activity that will show up on a map and then i can browse a .gpx track that i have loaded on there and i can enable that .gpx track overlay over this map without actually getting guided navigation.

this is great because in familiar ares, or even unknown, if i can make a decision whether to follow a track or not, or just to use it as a guide.

from what i recall when i had a fenix 3 once you loaded "navigate a track" you were stuck with it, a large error would pop up and the watch would constantly beep either to take a specific turn or because i deviated from the track.

is this feature possible in 5x somehow?  can i view a loaded .gpx file in the topo map but continue my activity without it being a navigational activity?

thanks

• There is a way to do this.  I searched forever until I found the work around.  Have not done it in a long time and I forgot already.  I remember part of how to do it, pick an activity and then there is a way to have the gpx course outline on your map screen and do the activity without the "navigation" feature.  I am currently trying to remember, will reply back when I find the answer.  I wanted to do this because following the navigation of the course does not give you all the stats that doing an activity does.

• I do not like navigation either, because of annoying notifications and and it also consumes 3 times more battery comparing to normal activity.

• Imjfarley, would be good if you remember how to do it, because I actually did not manage the Marcoassad's way, I managed the map creation, but then failed the other steps - Basecamp wasn't able installing it, or I screwed that up some way. The way to do wasn't simple, to be honest.

• I cannot find the work around that I was looking for but I did figure out another one.  On the main watch screen hold in the up-menu button (middle button on left side of watch).  Go to Settings.  Go to Navigation. Go to Alerts. Turn off the "Off Course" feature off. Back out one step and turn the "Heading Bug" off.  Also, if you want to, go to data screens and turn elevation plot off and screen 1 off.  This pretty much disables all the typical navigation features that drive us crazy.  Then go to your activity such as hike or run and select the activity.  Once your GPS syncs then hold down on the up-menu button and go to Navigation, go to Courses, select your course, select do course (can't select map because it just shows up on your map screen and you cannot go to any other screens for the activity). Then you are back at the screens for your activity.  You can scroll up and down through the screens, the course will be on your maps screen but you don't have to follow the exact course as your stats are still being recorded and it's not giving you annoying things like distance remaining or off course alerts etc..  Anyway, that's the best I can come up with for now.  If I figure a different work around I will let you know.

• Really, the main goal is to just have the course show up on the maps screen without having to use the navigation feature although the work around I just suggested is pretty close to that as we are essentially disabling all the Navigation features.  I am going to experiment with it today when I go for a run to see if it works, I will even go off course purposely.

• ir77:

If I understand you, you need to see a prepared track on the display (the track you would like to run). But you do not want to get navigation information on the watch, like turn right, etc. You only want to follow the preloaded track on the map? Is that right?

• Yes, only want to see the course on the map screen during the activity. Don't care about navigation help. I think my workaround above is the best solution unless someone knows how to do it without using the Navigation "do course" function.

• By creating the map you did the most difficult.

Now you just have to copy it to Garmin/ folder of your watch and enable it.

• Experiment worked. The course was on my maps screen of my activity but did not mess with any other aspects of my activity. I guess it's a solution for now. I didn't pay attention to battery life before run. I will check on that next.

• I am using the Fenix 5x since about 3 years. In the begin  I was also using IMGfromGPX to create overlay maps. Surely it works. Istill use this feature as soon I need to see more than one track at the same time.

But the easiest way for me to see a preloaded track on the Fenix sreen whitout navigation information is following:

• I prepare and load my track I would like to run (Trailrunning) with BaseCamp on the Fenix
    • I start the activity "Trail Run" on the Fenix
    • I go to "Trail Run Settings" (press button Up/Menu and select "Trail Run Settings")
    • I go to "Routing"
    • I go to "Courses". There are two options
      • Follow Course and
      • Use Map
    • My choice is "Follow Course" This option display the track whithout any Navigation Information. (By using map, based on the routing information on the map, you will get always message like Turn left, etc.)
    • The only information by selecting "Follow Course" is when you miss the path and come back you will get the information "On the path"
    • The setting "Follow Course" will stay on the as long, you dont't change it
    • When you start the activity, you have to load the track to the display
      • Start the activity "Trail Run" on the Fenix
      • Go to "Navigation" (press button Up/Menu and select Navigation)
      • Go to "Courses" and select your preloaded track
    • Start your activity
    • Enjoy your training or race