Fenix 5 Series - 14.73 Beta Release

We have new beta software ready for your upcoming adventures!

Fenix 5s: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11661
Fenix 5: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11663
Fenix 5x: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11665

Note: Please allow for the updates to propagate across all servers. There is no need to post that the link does not work. It will after a bit of patience.

14.73 Change Log Notes:

• Added support for inReach display verification, when using authentication.
  • Fixed an issue where the Last Sport widgets were not displaying information for the most recent activity.
  • Fixed an intermittent issue where the device would display a distance of 0, when navigating to a point right after a power cycle. (Fenix 5X only)
  • Made other miscellaneous code improvements and bug fixes.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the fenix 5 series you have in the subject line.

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.

• Yes that‘s too much. I can‘t tell how much my watch needs over 24 hours. But that sounds not good. Maybe it could be a dead battery too. 

• Yeah I've not had trouble like that in a LONG time -- many releases ago.  My 5x tends to run about ~0.3%/hr if "idle" (not in an activity with the GPS on, not backlight, etc.)  And I DO have wrist-based HR enabled.

• Last Sport widget working again, as stated in the change log.

= = = =

Selecting

Apps - Navigate - Activities

just brings you to the same screen over and over - not fixed.

• Can't prove it, but I have a strong feeling it's HR related

In observing the increased battery consumption I tested several scenarios, never disabling HR since that is important to me, and nothing was saving battery. One day after doing the last beta install, my watch did not reconnect to the phone but I was initially unaware. I kept observing that it had remained at 100% for an unusually long time and wondered if the update had improved battery life. I later realized that the watch was not connected to the phone. As soon as I reconnected, the now normal batter drain resumed. I think the biggest new drain on the battery is simply the connection to the phone and possibly the amount of data being transferred or just the power cost of the connection. It is not bad enough for me (1 week of battery life) to disconnect from the phone but my current theory is the watch/phone connection is the culprit.  

• Selecting

Apps - Navigate - Activities

just brings you to the same screen over and over - not fixed.

I have never used navigation on my Fenix 5 as I had no need for it. I was exploring it now before making a trip and it does not seem to work. Your post alerted me to the possibility that it has stopped working with the 14.73 Beta. Is it that you have used navigation before and it no longer works? In addition, I don't see, "Apps-Navigate-Activities". What is it that is not working for you?

• That's very interesting I'm definitely going to test it.

I have suspected the Heart rate Sensor because since those updates I have seen the watch sometimes "struggling" (not displaying) to display the heart rate like it has some problem with measuring or calculating, while the backside diodes seem to work. Sometimes the watch displays the HR only when I touch one diode with half of my thumb sometimes not at all when on the wrist. It just takes time. But it might be just a coincidence, that's why I wrote I can't prove it.

Back to your observation, 2 days ago I have noticed something that has surprised me. When I do a Strength activity I don't have my phone with me in the gym, it stays in the locker. Now I was doing some workout at home, phone in the other room and I've heard voices :o) During Strength activity user pushes the Lap button to indicate the change between Sets and Rests. And suddenly the phone started to say out loud "Lap <number> <time>".

I find it quite weird... If I have made 5 sets with 5 rests and push the button fort the begging of the set 6, the phone says Lap 11 and time :o) or maybe lap 10, not sure now :o) but I could live with that :o) The surprise was  connthat theection, seeming to be still online.

But I can't say if it was there before, as written, until now my phone was always away and muted.

• I have never used it for navigation before either. It just came to my mind that if I'm testing the Beta I should try everything, at least from three menu :o)

I have some bicycle activities in the history so after choosing this option I'd expect a list to roll out for me to select an activity I would like to get navigated along. Similarly to saving an activity to Connect and downloading it you the device.

Or if I'm not understanding the process, I'd expect an info that there are no activities for me. Cycling the same screen over was probably not meant by the dev as the outcome.

• Dear Garmin team. Why many users still experience high battery drain with every new update? Can you officially give us any reply what shall we do?!

i am about to switch to suunto which is very very stable!!!

• Just one more thing, nothing to do with this thread but I feel like a total noob right now... I have used the search function I was looking for the help with the forum, trying this and that, asked Google, looked for some "general thread" here but still can't find the answer to:

How do you quote users post here, please ?

:o)

• How do you quote users post here, please ?

Select the snippet that you propose to quote and select the "quote" fly-out and a reply will begin with the quoted text. I discovered it by accident. I was merely going to copy something to use in my response and there it was, magic