Are there widespread sleep tracking issues?

Anyone else having problems with sleep tracking? In the last two weeks I've only gotten one night of sleep tracking. Was always fine and reliable before this.
I removed and re-added my device, no help.
  • Try editing the sleep time ( example: you went to sleep at 22:00, edit it to 22:01) maybe that will help.
  • I've found that if my device hasn't synced during the day then I will lose my sleep tracking data for that day. I can't confirm 100% but it would appear the watch can only store one 24 hour period of sleep data.
    I'm using an iPhone 7 and I find I have to open the Connect App and make sure the device starts syncing at least once per day.
    I don't know based on what you've written if that would apply to you, but maybe it does and maybe this will help?

Overall I find the Garmin sleep tracking to be a bit rubbish (compared to a previously owned Fitbit Surge). The watch often confuses inactivity either before bed (you know, like watching TV) or inactivity in the morning (like reading a newspaper and having a coffee) as being asleep.
    What's even more annoying is that this behaviour isn't consistent. Some days it gets my sleep bang on. Other days (with nothing else about my routine being different) it will add hours to my sleep.
    As far as I'm aware the sleep tracking Garmin uses is the same across all it's devices so even on a Fenix 5 it doesn't take into account heart rate. My old Fitbit was far better at working out when I was awake because it did use heart rate as an indicator.
  • Yeah I agree, sleep tracking isn't exactly impressive, though technically it's a function of Garmin Connect, not the fenix 5. Even if I have a 'bedtime' set as 11:00, if I sit down in front of the TV at 9:30 for an hour it will often decide that's when I've gone to sleep, even if I'm later fully active again before 11:00. I know sleep tracking relies on algorithms and a bit of guesswork, but I'm sure Garmin's algorithms could be a bit more intelligent.

What's really frustrating is a couple of times in the morning my f5 has synced with GC and it's shown that it's correctly captured my sleep times, but then for some obscure reason later in the day it decides to recalculate them again and get them wrong.
  • Over a year of usage mine has been pretty much spot on (and still is) - I think it does use HR as part of the algorithm for determining sleep.
  • I find the sleep tracking to be rubbish, the wake up times are fine but the falling asleep times are way off and find it hard to believe I slip into a deep sleep within 2 minutes of falling asleep, stay in that state from anywhere from 10 mins to an hour and then buckets of light sleep. Seems to miss waking up in the night though sometimes catches it. It's really annoying as some friends of mine have Fitbit watches, and they track sleep  really well as well as showing micro-wakes, a watch that is 5 times cheaper than mine! Sort it out Garmin!

• I just checked mine and over the last month 1 out of 4-5 days shows unrecorded sleep data. I wear mine 24/7 and an activity and a sync each day. Has been working fine for a year and a half otherwise.