Is this is normal fenix 5 sapphire screen light ?

Hi all,
Sorry, my first language is not English.
I got my Fenix 5 sapphire 3 days ago and I am happy with it.
However, I am a little confused about the clearness of the screen if it is normal or not?
if anyone can tell me how to increase the screen color or light that will be helpful.
the brightness is 100% for both (Not and During Activity) ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1279562.jpg
  • It seems you don't have the backlight on.

This is how mine looks at 30%.ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1279585.jpg
  • Yap, looks like its off... on wich Firmware is your watch? Tried a restart of your watch?
  • Thanks guys for your replies.

Sorry I think my request was wrong and I misunderstood the backlight.
    I meant the color (without the backlight) is not clear as what is see on the internet like the attached pic.

Fenix 5 sapphire
    Firmware is: 6.00

Note.
    The attached pic from http://www.gadfit.com/fenix-5-hands-on/
    ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1279793.jpg
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    no devices screen looks as good as on the web site pictures. They are taken in ideal lighting conditions by professional photographers.
  • I actually did a lot of research before I bout my Fenix 5 and I went with the normal Mineral Crystal glass vs the Saphire due to the brightness of the Mineral glass. I have a few friends that have the Fenix 5 Saphire and I didn't think there was a difference until I put them side by side.
  • Thanks guys for your replies.

Sorry I think my request was wrong and I misunderstood the backlight.
    I meant the color (without the backlight) is not clear as what is see on the internet like the attached pic.

Fenix 5 sapphire
    Firmware is: 6.00

Note.
    The attached pic from http://www.gadfit.com/fenix-5-hands-on/

The F5 is designed around being an outdoor sports watch, with a VERY long battery life.

The screen (I think it is called Reflexive) becomes brighter and color more vibrant the more external light there is. It becomes very easy to read in full sunlight, but harder to read in low light conditions indoors. This is the opposite to what people are used to with cell phone screens (which become hard to read in sunlight unless maximum backlight is used).

The marketing photos were probably shot in studio lighting conditions

If reading it indoors is hard, I'd suggest Settings> System> Backlight > Not During Activity> Gesture = On That way the backlight will come on whenever you turn your wrist to look at the watch.
  • Yes, the Sapphire version of the Fenix 5 is much darker than the glass version when used indoors in darker environments.

I switched from a Fenix 5 Sapphire to a glass version, put a glass protector on it, and the difference in clarity and contrast is huge when the watch is used indoor as a daily watch.

There are lots of other posts on this in this forum. People who say there is no difference only compare them in bright daylight. Indoors in winter time it's another story altogether.
  • Most other smartwatches do not have (by default) the always-on screen and yet they offer pretty bad battery life compared to Garmin. So, even with the screen off, they still need to be recharged every 2-3 days (best case scenario) while the Garmin lasts for more than 1 week (even close to 2 weeks).
    What's not to like here?
    If the screen is too dark for you just set the backlight to come on as soon as you raise your arm.