When should I use 3D speed?

I see that it is on by default for skiing and curious whether I should also be using it for mountain biking and trail running.
Parents
  • I think the following post I found over in the F3HR forums does a good job summarizing why it doesn't matter for running...

Even for hiking, the efficacy is probably dubious due to trees and what not already bastardizing your GPS signal.

If I think about hiking, I think about triangle, then I think of the Cosines.
    5 degree: horizontal distance is 99% of the real distance.
    10 degree: horizontal distance is 98% of the real distance.
    15 degree: horizontal distance is 96% of the real distance.
    20 degree: horizontal distance is 93% of the real distance.
    25 degree: horizontal distance is 90% of the real distance.
    30 degree: horizontal distance is 87% of the real distance.

With 3D distance OFF, which distance is measured? The horizontal or the real distance?
    And while GPS signal might be compromised by trees, in a stabile weather, is barometric altimeter accurate enough to measure the elevation change?
  • I think the following post I found over in the F3HR forums does a good job summarizing why it doesn't matter for running...

Even for hiking, the efficacy is probably dubious due to trees and what not already bastardizing your GPS signal.

If I think about hiking, I think about triangle, then I think of the Cosines.
    5 degree: horizontal distance is 99% of the real distance.
    10 degree: horizontal distance is 98% of the real distance.
    15 degree: horizontal distance is 96% of the real distance.
    20 degree: horizontal distance is 93% of the real distance.
    25 degree: horizontal distance is 90% of the real distance.
    30 degree: horizontal distance is 87% of the real distance.

With 3D distance OFF, which distance is measured? The horizontal or the real distance?
    And while GPS signal might be compromised by trees, in a stabile weather, is barometric altimeter accurate enough to measure the elevation change?
Children
No Data