Fenix 5x plus stuck on loading maps

Help! I am leaving for a 10 day trip tomorrow and had just installed the latest update. Now my watch is stuck on the “loading maps” screen when I tried to reboot it.

Ive tried resetting the watch, no luck.

Initially I tried to reboot my watch because the map wasnt loading properly (it was blank). 

this all happened after syncing my watch with garmin express

• Update: my watch loaded, but now the map is still not working. It is showing up as a blank white screen when i try to pan/zoom around me 

• Firstly this is not a PLus forum there is actually one for that ;-)  So may be best to ask there given the differnces between the fen5x and 5x plus..

But on another note.

What map?

what type? Eg marine,topo road etc

Is it offical from Garmin or a custom OSM?

Is it in UT or latin format?

How big is the map? eg a few megs a or a couple of Gigs? (I have a custom topo thats takes time due to size but one loaded it works perfectly)

This infor would be helpful for everyone here on in the correct forum section..

• It is the topo active north america map that came installed when I purchased the device. It was working fine before the last update. It would load instantly. Now the map takes a long time to load to the point where it is very frustrating to use

• Connect it to a computer and re-load the maps using Garmin Express

This same thing happens to me maybe 1 out of every 5 map updates (most recently a week ago!). Reloading it has always worked.  At least on Windows, you don't even need to re-download the maps as Express keeps the previously downloaded copy and just reloads them onto the watch.

• Here is my workaround with this problem:

1. Delete all non-Garmin maps

2. It is a good idea to clear all of your stored activities on the watch (not mandatory but it helps)

2. Re-load the maps coming with the watch by using Garmin Express - you need to do this most likely more than once by the way. If your maps load for more than 20 sec you would have to repeat the process.