incident dectection shall send sms wihtout phone connected to internet

Hi, is it possible to change the function of incident detection so it can send an sms in case of incident without having the data  on the smartphone activated.

The functiion is vey usefull but if I do a long trail with the 4G connection activated on the phone, the battery is getting empy very quickly

Parents
  • That would require a cellular connection from the watch directly, which has some technical challenges like power usage and a SIM card in the watch. However it may be a good idea for a new type of watches, feel free to share it here: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

I too would like to have livetrack and be able to trigger an alert from my watch, without having to take a phone along. Over the years I've (water) damaged several phones due to various outdoor mishaps, and tried alternatives like handheld amateur radio equipment and low power "internet-of-things" data transmitters, but those were bulkier and less convenient than a phone.

Also, the idea of being trackable even _without_ a phone does not appeal to me.

More importantly, 3G/4G/5G based solutions are not ideal for areas without adequate cellular coverage, for that a satellite communications-based option or a personal locator beacon is a better choice.

I'm still looking for a solution to have live track+alerting that works without cellular coverage and without expensive activation and subscription fees, so if anyone has experience with these things, please share!

• That would require a cellular connection from the watch directly, which has some technical challenges like power usage and a SIM card in the watch. However it may be a good idea for a new type of watches, feel free to share it here: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

I too would like to have livetrack and be able to trigger an alert from my watch, without having to take a phone along. Over the years I've (water) damaged several phones due to various outdoor mishaps, and tried alternatives like handheld amateur radio equipment and low power "internet-of-things" data transmitters, but those were bulkier and less convenient than a phone.

Also, the idea of being trackable even _without_ a phone does not appeal to me.

More importantly, 3G/4G/5G based solutions are not ideal for areas without adequate cellular coverage, for that a satellite communications-based option or a personal locator beacon is a better choice.

I'm still looking for a solution to have live track+alerting that works without cellular coverage and without expensive activation and subscription fees, so if anyone has experience with these things, please share!

Children
No Data