This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sticky buttons - the fix

Former Member
Former Member

Hi all,

After a year of 5+ ownership, I was recently plagued by the button issues that others here have frequently complained about. The start/stop button had become stiff and it felt as if there were a double clicking action, followed by the button seemingly become jammed down when depressed.

The theory was that some dirt, oil, or a mixture of the two may have worked its way into the button mechanism and was jamming it up, so I've soaked the watch in a bowl of warm soapy water for 30 minutes, pulled it out and clicked the button multiple times then repeated the soaking processing over the next couple of days. True enough, whatever was in there broke down and the buttons were freed and feeling like they did when the watch was brand new.

I'd advise trying this if you experience something similar.

• I did the same to mine.  I am still waiting on my spring though.  I found that It was a little dirty in the housing, I don't think the spring will resolve my issue though.  Its worth a shot.  I feel like in my case its the actual button itself that has lost the click. If I recall correctly, when I had mine taken apart I pressed the button directly and it did not click.  I do not suggest taking it apart if you don't know what you're doing. In my case, the alternative was paying Garmin to replace it since it wasn't under warranty and I didn't want to spend the money on it.  Plus if I killed it, it was an excuse to get a Fenix 6.  Last Photo shows the actual button itself.  It seems to have lost its "click".  If the spring doesn't fix it, I may just try replacing the button for fun.  The PCB registers the button press, but I juts don't like how it "feels". Its way softer vs the rest.  Garmin doesn't acknowledge an issue, but does offer a replacement for a feee.

• I'd love to have a link to the spring you got. I think I'll be good for about a year with the replacement unit I got, but expect it to fail again, so I'm trying to prepare for that.

• Best of luck! If I remember correctly, the button itself (the black bit with the tiny seal in your picture, next to the spring and the c-clip) is a solid object, no moving part. The spring allows it to be compressed (when you press on it) or de-compressed (you release and spring springs back). The seal serves to keep liquid out when it actuates.

• Interesting! Thank you for the tip.

For what it's worth, I have had a Fenix 3 since it came out which never had this issue and I recently bought a used Fenix 5X which had a damaged back (no pusher issue). I bought a replacement case for it and the pushers look different, like a pentalobe with only 3 sections. Not sure how these would come off without the exact tool. Maybe the 5X does not have the same issue?

• Hopefully Garmin will learn the lessons here. I did a bit more tinkering with the button recently. I am convinced the problem is due to friction between parts (the button, the spring, and the hole in the case that receive the button/spring). I happen to have some Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease around so I put a moderate amount in the hole as well as on the spring. Put everything back together and the button action is even better---super smooth now. Note that one needs to use silicone-based grease (i.e. polydimethylsiloxane-based) which will not adversely affects the rubber seal, important if one still wants the watch to be water-proof!

• Yes, seems as 3 and 5 (up tu PLUS) had differend buttons mount. In my case this screw was absent from factory ( who knows, is it possible to buy such small screw, or install button from 5x PLUS serie ?