Why oximeter widget fails to complete measurement if O2 saturation below 65%?

Hi guys.

I use my Garmin Fenix 5X Plus while trekking in Himalayas and sometimes my O2 Sat falls below 65% or so (I'm not sure what is the exact threshold.  It may be 63%, 65% or anything below 75%). I have another, dedicated pulse-oximeter with me and it works fine. When it comes to Fenix, if I access Oximeter widget, it starts measurement and aborts it, reverting back to previous result (one above 65%). Dedicated pulse-ox shows result without any issue.

Is there any specific O2 Sat range fenix supports?  I didn't find anything in specs.

I think this is watch issue and I plan to claim warranty but wanted to check here before.

Cheers

• In DCR’s review, he mentioned that the altitude acclimatization functionality tops out at 4K meters. Given the altimeter clearly works above that altitude, I wonder if there is something about the pulse ox unit that doesn’t work well above 4K meters (assuming you’re above that in Himalayas). 

Separately, as a doc, I hope you’re not spending too much time below 65%!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to acousticbiker
    In DCR’s review, he mentioned that the altitude acclimatization functionality tops out at 4K meters.

I read this too and remember thinking why?  If the sensor is designed to read PulseOx, what difference should elevation make for it to do so?