Fenix 5 Plus Series - 8.21 Beta Release

Hello Fenix 5/5S/5X Plus users,

We have new beta software ready for your upcoming adventures!

Fenix 5S Plus: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14333
Fenix 5 Plus: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14331
Fenix 5X Plus: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14335

Note: Please allow for the updates to propagate across all servers. There is no need to post that the link does not work. It will after a bit of patience.

8.21 Change Log Notes:

• Fixed an issue where Strength activity summary information was displaying dashes on the Last Sport widget.
  • Made improvements to the CIQ music apps.

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the fenix 5 Plus series you have in the subject line.

• I confirm that the Last Sport widget works properly with the strength activity!

• Would be nice if I could use my watch anytime soon :D Tried to swim today with 8.03 and the watch rebooted after i swim 400 meters and pressed the lap button. Sob before I could not use the garmin coach feature (that's why I got lured into the beta program by a garmin support assistant). Hope also I can use the watch OHR for hiking or maybe the whole OHR is a waste? 

• First activity with 8.22b. 63' running with GPS only, external HR-Run, footpod, Spotify. What I noticed is the very low battery consumption of 12%. I remember that the consumption with the same setup was about 16-17% per hour and sometimes even more. Also, the post activity battery consumption is 0%.

• Hi everyone,

We identified a non-critical bug with widgets in the 8.21 beta version. We have pulled this version down, and 8.03 is the current beta that is available for download. We will have a new version available first thing on Monday morning that will resolve this problem. I apologize for the inconvenience.

You should not experience any significant performance issues because of this bug, it only impacts the behavior of widgets.

Thanks,
    Mel
    Garmin Outdoor Software Quality Team

• What exactly is the nature of the issue Mel, just so we don't end up all reporting the same issue via email...

• Max - just a thought, send a bunch of fit files of the hike's to the beta team perhaps?

Another thing, which may be useful - is if you have HRV switched on is to sign up for a free account at Runalyze - I suggest that as it shows not only HRV data but also HR anomalies... may be interesting to see if your dodgy  hike activities are throwing up a lot of anomalies. With a chest HR I regularly get less than 1% anomalies so anything higher than that may be interesting....

To switch on HRV - Settings -> Physiological Metrics -> "Log HRV".

• And do you use poles when hiking - ig so, and this sounds real weird so bear with me, wear the watch so that the sensor is on the inside of your wrist see if that helps.

My wife has very dry flaky skin (hyperkeratosis) and she finds

a) better OHR tracking on the inside
    b) make a point of wiping the back clean before any vigourous activity as the skin/sweat combo seems to throw things

• Hi, you you please tell me, how did you manage to see the battery consumption in gcm with the activitiy?

I do not see the battery-consumption or rate in gcm.

• You should pull all of the FW's (release and beta) until they are out of bug infested beta state. My "journey" with Fenix 5X+ started at FW 5. And now I am at 8.21 (downgrading to 7.60 because im tired of this watch and are going to use it as a time teller until it can be used normally). 

Maybe after a year or two you can release a new public release (that should be 1.0! Not 8.0) that is good enough for use by normal people and not BETA testers.

Tired of being your beta tester even for normal releases. 

• There is an IQ data field, which will record the battery % into the .fit file for an activity. I don't remember the name of that field, but I guess that is what he used.