Garmin Coach Widget

Since they have added up to half marathon at 7 minute mile pace on Garmin Coach I thought I would give it a try. When I trialled this last year with the 5k plan it added a Garmin Coach Widget to the watch so that I could quickly check upcoming sessions. This has not appeared on the half marathon plan on software 7.10.

Anyone tried these new plans and have the widget showing?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to JanH

You can't link another workout to the coach. If you miss it, you miss it. That said, the coaching algo seems to calculate most of it's confidence based upon what it believes your pace / distance should be for where you're at in the plan. I've missed a whole week of scheduled sessions before, instead opting to do my own thing, and the coaches confidence level has shot up as soon as I complete the next official workout because my fitness is still trending upwards.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about missing a few here and there so long as your training remains productive and your fitness is trending upwards.

• I just reschedule the runs on the training plan in Garmin Connect app or desktop version. But would be nice if the widget or the run activity would make it possible to select missed workouts. As @Joel mentioned you can only select the coming workouts. 
    In your scenario you need to plan the long run on Monday/Tuesday en reschedule the easy run from Saturday to Sunday, as you can't have 2 workouts on the same day.

So you either plan them ahead or just skip them and do a normal run and the schedule will adjust accordingly later if needed. 

• To be honest, it is not as adaptive as I first thought. I was on a 44min 10k plan and had strarted struggling when I got to 8 x 6.20-6.45m/m pace 800m repeat (I had just run 44.30 for a 10k so not over reaching on this plan). Even though I was missing this target on a couple of reps the plan kept increasing weekly to 10x, 12x, 14x which I missed target on at least 4 of the reps (2 I did at 8m/m plus pace).

I skipped the next weeks 16x 800m because of a race and it then scheduled 18x 800m for the following week! 18x 800m plus 3 min recoveries is 9 miles plus about 3 miles recovery and another mile warm up/cool down. With the drills that is over a 13 mile interval session on a 10k plan. Seems exteme to me!!!

It seems if you run the plan it assumes you have hit all the targets regardless. So you could run much slower than the target pace and it ignores it... Unless anyone has seen anything different?

• @xray79 how do you reschedule the runs? I tried to shift them in Garmin Connect (web/desktop) but I didn't find how to move them... Thanks!