This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Automatically read weight from Apple Health app or MyFitnessPal?

I can't seem to get Garmin Connect to read Weight data either from Apple Health or MyFitnessPal. In the Apple Health app under Sources, Garmin Connect appears, but the only options available to allow Connect to read data are Date of Birth, Height and Sex; Weight isn't one of the options, which seems odd.

Garmin Connect and MyFitnessPal are connected, and Garmin Connect correctly pulls in calorie information logged in MFP, but does NOT pull weight data.

....any suggestions?
  • ..but not bothered enough to do anything about it. However, you on the other hand clearly have a beef about it.

If it bothers you enough then contact Garmin and/or Apple and try to have it resolved.

No I don't care.
  • My scales is a Nokia (formerly and subsequently Withings) which is connected to MYFitnessPal (now part of the UnderArmour hegemony) which is connected to Garmin. It works well and has done for many years, On two occasions the connection has been lost, but I just disconnected them and reconnected to resolve the problem. I have no experience of the Apple ecosystem.

D
  • Just like above I use Nokia + MyFitnessPal to sync weight both to Garmin Connect and Apple Health.
    I don't have the 'read weight' option for GC in Apple Health, just write (iphone 8, ios 12 beta)
  • Came here to say the same thing. My iPhone 6s had issues whereby Garmin Connect stopped reading weight from the Health app, despite Weight being checked in the list of metrics - both read and write. I recently upgraded to an iPhone XS, and now there isn't even a 'read' list for Garmin Connect, just 'write'.
  • Circling back on this thread now that I've figured out how to get Garmin Connect to read my weight again.

Background: I used MyFitnessPal a few years back to get to a target weight, then uninstalled it once I got there because logging every meal was tiresome and only seeing US food brands and units was irritating. I have a Withings / Nokia smart scale and it's corresponding app, which sends weight, BMI, and air quality (why?) data to the standard Apple Health app.

Fix: reinstall MyFitnessPal, authorise it to read workout data from inside Garmin Connect via More > Settings > 3rd Party Apps. Go to the Health Mate app (the one that comes with the Withings / Nokia Scales) and choose Profile the scroll down to the Apps section. Apple's Health app is there and shows a check badge to indicate it's connected, MyFitnessPal is there but has no check badge. Tap MyFitnessPal and authorise it to interact with Health Mate. I then quit all apps and power-cycled my iPhone XS for good measure, and he-presto, weight data is back in Garmin Express.

So why do I need to install MyFitnessPal to get weight data, instead of using the Apple Health app as the central source-of-truth as designed? Chances are that Garmin has some kind of deal with Under Armour involving your workout data, either / both of which are probably in bed with Withings nee Nokia as well. What a time to be alive.
  • I was able to fix the issue by disconnecting and reconnecting MyFitnessPal under Garmin Connect -> More -> Settings -> 3rd Party Apps. No reinstall required.
  • Fix: reinstall MyFitnessPal, authorise it to read workout data from inside Garmin Connect via More > Settings > 3rd Party Apps. Go to the Health Mate app (the one that comes with the Withings / Nokia Scales) and choose Profile the scroll down to the Apps section. Apple's Health app is there and shows a check badge to indicate it's connected, MyFitnessPal is there but has no check badge. Tap MyFitnessPal and authorise it to interact with Health Mate. .

Thank you!

Used GC settings>3rd Party Apps>MyFitnessPal>Disconnect. Then reconnect. Didn't have to uninstall/reinstall anything.

This worked to sync weight w/MFP from Withings scale.
    Pixel XL, android Ver 9
    Been using GC and MFP and Withings scale for long time, this behavior happens occasionally. Syc stopped about 7 days ago, was waiting for it to work again, forgot about this fix.
  • To sync from Health, you have to use Garmin’s Competition - MyFitnessPal as an intermediary.

Garmin needs to invest more in there apps. Maybe it’s time for them to hire some new people there and replace some of the ineffective ones
  • Garmin connect needs to automatically synchronise and read weight from Apple Health app. This is preventing me from purchasing the Fenix 6 - I’m not spending that kind of money unless this basic function is sorted.