Descent Mk1 Improvement Suggestions

This doesn’t have anything related to the “5x” side of things. I never expected this watch (Mk1) to have anything more than the 5x and with the 8.00 update, sadly this will be one of the final updates for the Descent. That said, I have some suggestions to improve future versions of this watch and if any of you would like to add something, please do.

Max Depth: Every Dive computer I’ve ever had or seen had this information accessible to the diver, while diving. The Mk1 for some unknown reason, does not have this information.

Dive Log Widget Information: In the information on the watch, it gives Min. temp and Average temp. Really no reason why divers need to know the Average temp but knowing the Max temp would make more sense.

Double Tap Screen: The sensitively on this is wayyyy to sensitive. The screens switch all the time underwater with no interaction from the diver. I have 6 staff members who have this watch and it happened to all of them. I just turn the feature off myself as it’s annoying because it changes itself.

Barometer Graph (picture attached): I’ve had a discussion with a staff member at Garmin about this and I still wholeheartedly believe that a Scuba Dive should not affect the Barometer graph/information. I have my Storm Alarm on a lower sensitivity and is always going off after a dive due to the watch trying to readjust the Barometric information. Also, it just ruins the graph. 

Better band: The keepers (the way they are designed), collect a lot of dirt and grime. I switch out my bands often but some of my staff members and customers who wear the same band day in and day out have a “gleam” on a lot of the band, like something as worn off. It specifically states that this band was “treated”, so treated with what?

Data Screen Customization: I prefer to have the option to change around my screens/information and/or eliminate a screen.

Ascent Alert: A lot of computers, have a audible warning if you’re Ascending too quickly, would be nice to have that option to enable (or its there and I never noticed it).

Ok, that’s it from me for now.

• I have been thinking about AI.

The biggest problem that Garmin will have is fitting the extra data on the display. The display is crowded enough already with essential information. How will it fit tank pressure and potential GTR?

As the watch already supports multiple gases, will it support multiple transmiteret?

That said, my Oceanic Atom 3.0 is around the same size and displays both pressure and GTR but doesn’t display temperature. It also supports up to 3 transmitters but only one at a time. You have to switch on the watch to see the other transmitters.

• That is an issue for every watch style dive computer, they all have limited display space. Though most have found a way to display this, as I am sure Garmin will should they add this to a future version of the Descent. I just hope Garmin does not try and reinvent the wheel and develop their own tank transmitter, Suunto went that route and look how well that worked out for them. 

• The most recent leaks of the Fenix 6x show a 36% increase in screen size (which really means they made the black inner ring smaller to show more screen), so they’ll probably have a dedicated data field for PSI in the MARQ Diver that probably will be announced in or around CES ‘20 (since the F6 is coming out on 8/29).

• Another suggestion (kind of piggy backing off of the Barometer idea): When in Dive Mode and the Depth sensor is used, shut off the Barometer/Altimeter sensor and then the dive ends, activate that sensor again.  A dive really screws up not only the readings from the Barometer but the Altimeter as well.

I taught tonight and the area I’m in ranges from 575’ (pool) to 605’ (retail store). My watch was in “Pool Mode” tonight and was properly calibrated before my class:

• Well that is about how well it works at Sea Level, so why do you expect it to work better above sea level?  

I was teaching a class in Monterey and calibrated the altitude early in the morning standing on the beach. By Mid-Day I was at 300' standing at the same spot. Just because it supports 3 GPS systems, you expect the altitude to be correct?

• I don’t think you’re following (or I’m not explaining properly). This has nothing to do with GPS, this has to do with the fact that during a dive, the Baro/Alt sensor is still taking readings underwater and it’s not necessary.

If you’re at 500’ before your 45 minute dive, then theoretically you should be at about the same Altitude after. Once the Depth sensor is “activated” for a dive, the Baro/Alt sensor should be “deactivated” which would prevent those wacky readings.

The Dive IQ Application uses the Baro/Alt sensor for its readings, so you have no choice with the standard watches.

• No, I am following. Just tossing another issue out there in a sarcastic way. 

• Another suggestion is with GCM and dive logs. Yesterday, I was training divers for their Advanced Diver certification and one of them had a hard time equalizing. So I went down to a platform and tied a line so she could control her descent. I was up and down assisting her and another diver and it created several 1-2 minute dives. So I deleted them in GCM (impossible to delete them on the watch, it’s either all or nothing) but it didn’t adjust the Dive # appropriately (see picture):

I figured I’d post here since it was Dive specific and not in the other forum.

(I know you can edit it through GC online, just would be nice to edit in app as well)

• You can definitely change the dive number in GCM.

Deleting dives doesn’t automatically change the dive number (and it could get messy if it did) but if you update the numbers of the dives after the deleted dive(s) in either GCM or GCW,  subsequent dives will be correctly numbered.

• Upon further exploring the app/dive, I see where you can do it.

I stand corrected, thank you.