This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Software Update

Is Garmin planning on releasing an update to address some of the known issues with the Descent any time soon? 

Specifically

- Compass: 

- Prioritization of Dive Mode: as this is a dive computer, it really should go into dive mode when a diver descends. Yes I know we teach our students to check their gear, but in reality I see people not check their gear all the time when at a dive site. Had an advanced student recently who did not even know how to assemble his gear as someone always did it for them. 

• Additionally, Garmin need to fix the issues that were originally fixed in 4.00 but broken again in 6.00.  For example:

** Previously, if NDL was surpassed while below 35 feet, the watch would cancel the safety stop in favor of normal decompression stops. Now, if the deco commitment is cleared prior to ascending to 23 feet (7m), there will still be a safety stop scheduled for 20 feet (6m).

Someone else reported another similar issue but I can't find it.

• Not only the Compass (and what ATJ said), but a reference to what your maximum depth achieved during your dive (while diving) as opposed to just knowing it after you view your log. 

A few others:

1. Flashlight backlight issue 

2. Galileo Support (the most expensive Fenix 5 lineup watch, doesn’t have this support)

June 5th marks the 5 month period since the last update. They added CCR support last update which is why it took 5 months (August-Jan ‘19). I have no idea what the hold up is now.

• While we're at it...

An easier way to see surface interval

Every other dive computer I have shows surface interval right there on the display at least up to 24 hours after the last dive.  If I'm doing a second dive on the day I have to dig through the widgit loop to find the surface interval but I can't do this if I'm in dive mode ready to start the next dive. 

It should really be displayed on the dive mode screen.

• And selectable on the watch face?

• Watch face would be a big help but it also needs to be on the dive mode screen.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Odie21

It is completely reasonable to take that long, we need to make sure that the quality of the software Garmin produces is top notch. So wait a little longer 6-8 months more and then buy a new version of the device which will have an updated version of the software. 

• I agree they need to ensure the quality of the software, unfortunately, the quality is not that high.  To break at least two fixes in a later release shows that their quality control is severely lacking.  One of those fixes related to safety so I have lost faith in Garmin.

• I will give Garmin a very small pass due to the fact that this is their first venture into the Scuba Diving field. That said, they have on many turns made serious errors and/or took advice from people as a prior Garmin employee stated “were very experienced divers”. I had to fight for 2-3 months when this watch first came out to allow the diver to choose Magnetic North as a Compass option...c’mon!

You have (in the beginning of this thread) 2 Instructors and one very experienced Diver give suggestions and advice which are blatantly ignored. There should be someone from the programming team here in this forum interacting with us. There is little to no interaction from Garmin in relation to the development of this watch and all this has done in the past 1 1/2 years is ostracize current owners from future sales of their diving watch.

• Cheers everyone, 5 month anniversary of the last update!

Beers

• I get they need to test the updates, but given the number of issues I have to wonder how detailed the testing has been. Also, Shearwater is able to issue an update that is solid within days of a bug being found, and these events are few and far between. Garmin needs to step up and address the issues with the Descent in a more timely fashion.