This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mk2 Descent?

Hello All,

when will a Mk2 Descent with music comes to live? Any idea?

Thank you for your help.
  • Now I was sad to wait and decided to change my dive computer to a Shearwater Teric.

That is a great choice, I switched to that myself.  I’m not the biggest fan of AI, so I have a hard lined computer as well.

Shearwater supports its Diving products MUCH better. 

• while that story looks nice on reddit, reddit made plenty of predictions on the watch coming out in 2019 that also seemed to be backed up. I can't really believe that Garmin would put an unfinished product or even finished product in some random dive shop owners hands to try out months before the release, especially if it still had issues. I could see that mayyyybe if the dive shop owner was a big name in diving or social media influencer so they could get an unboxing video ready for the release. But for sure they would have signed an NDA and wouldn't tell random customers in the store about the new watch that still has issues? hah

Not trying to shoot the messenger just doesn't seem probable. I hope you're right!

• Not necessarily a bad thing. If the software performs reliably well, it means that it was well tested and robust to stay that way.

• I appreciate your concern for safety I think the computers are great for Convenience however as an old school ex commercial diver who is used to using the US navy dive tables I would also recommend always using an analog pressure gauge and  depth gauge  4 cross reference and backup while using a computer

• Nothing wrong with a redundant system and with the 1st Stage having (2) HP ports, it makes this possible.

Almost all the dive shops around me just teach computers and avoid the tables. I’m old fashioned and I teach the tables still. NAUI just came out with even more conservative tables.

• I have AI now on my Perdix, just makes sidemount easier to keep track of. Though both tanks also have and SPG should the Perdix or AI fail. 

I teach my OW classes as computer, though we still do the Tables as I think it helps the students understand what their dive computer is telling them and could be used to help in dive planning. 

• I think tables are about as relevant as doing long division on paper. 

• I'm thinking out loud here. I am almost thinking about buying a small Fenix 6s and if I should go diving next year, a small dive computer extra. I don't think it is worth waiting for the MK2.

• Things I would love to see on the MK2 that would be SO cool. I've had the MK1 for a year and I absolutely love it, big thanks to Garmin!

• built in SOS signal that sends GPS coordinates when activated
    • Pulse Ox
    • Solar panel tech as seen on new Fenix 
    • Downloadable music 
    • cell service link to stream music and get notifications out of bluetooth range
    • Integrated air (everyone wants this but not high on my list)

Any thoughts? Is there technology out there to make all this happen?? 

• built in SOS signal that sends GPS coordinates when activated

Sends to where and how?