This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Altimeter QNH fom METAR wrong

Hi,

I'm owning the Aviator since two weeks. It is my third aviation watch from Garmn. Startret with a D2 Bravo Titanium a few years ago.

My problem: The altimeter works fine using manuel calibration. As soon as i activate QNH via METAR the air pessure is totaly wrong: i.E METAR EDDG pressure is 1010 hPa the the altimeter reads 1002. Tested it since the watch was comming out of the box, on many airports/weather stations.

NO answer from the GARMIN support. :-(((

Regards from Germany
Peer

• Hi Vikino,

That's interesting. Please allow a question: when setting the altimeter source to METAR, how do you know which airport/METAR is used as source? Can you input the airport/station code somewhere?

Best regards

Dragan

• Hi Dragan,

if you open metar app and 3 times push the D button - upper right, you can manually enter airport from which you want metar...

• Hi Vikino,

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I see the options "Enter Station" and "Use Closest" and get the correct METAR from the station I enter or I'm close to.

But in the Altimeter widget, when setting the Barometer to METAR, exit and re-enter the widget, the QNH will be totally different from QNH reported by the station displaye in the METAR widget.

I your case, the QNH is identical?

Best regards

Dragan

• Just choose Enter Station, enter desired airport, let it download metar, aftewards nothing else is nesecary to switch, just open Altimeter and QNH from that airport should be there...

• Hi Vikino,

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, this is what I think how it should work. But no, I've been getting a completely different QNH in altimeter, it will change every day, and it's not a constant offset to my local airport that I select, so it is actually reading some METAR, just not the one selected...

Best regards

Dragan

• Have you entered station and confirmed that it starts to download?

• Hi Vikino,

yes, it does download the correct METAR and I can see the  QNH.

But no, the QNH shown in Altimeter (set to METAR as baro source) is not the same.

I've been instructed to do a factory reset to see if it works after that.

We'll see..

Best regards

Dragan

• And in settings, sensors, altimeter, have you set metar?

• Hi Vikino,

yes. The problem has been there ever since I had bought the watch, it's one of the first features I configured and tested, it never worked.

Support suggests doing factory reset, which is what I will try at some point

Apart from that, I think Altimeter and Barometer widget could offer a few more features that would make them much more useful:

- in Barometer, the calibration routine should offer an "Airport/METAR" option, where you simply enter the airport code of where you sit, the routine would then ask you to confirm the airport altitude that it takes from the airport information database, and the QNH for the station that it takes from the METAR.

- in Altimeter, the ability to re-calibrate the altitude in the widget while keeping the QNH

- in Altimeter, when set QNH from METAR, display the airport code left of QNH, so it would e.g. read ELLX QNH 1019

- in Altimeter, flip from QNH to 1013 and back

I don't know if it's just me but I think that would be simple to add (OK simple does not exist when making software...), and would make it much more usable.

OK in the end the watch is still a toy and not a real instrument. But when I attach the watch to the dashboard (I'm using the handlebar mount from Garmin) and then calibrate Baro/Altimeter manually once the watch has ambient temperature, altitude will be within a few feet of the real instrument during flight, so the potential is there.

Best regards

Dragan