This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VO2max Petition

One thing pretty much all Instinct owners and reviewers agree on is that the VO2max omission is odd for a device at this price point, considering lower-tiered devices have it.

Adding it would make the Instinct a much easier purchase for lots of runners who would prefer this style of watch/display over the color models, just based on gauging reactions from personal encounters, as well as countless others around the internet.

Garmin team seems pretty good at responding to user feedback [sometimes], so let's see if we can draw their attention and hopefully get this feature added to our Instincts.

Reply to this post below if you support this petition!
  • Va rog sa adăugați opțiunea VO2 MAX ceasului Garmin instinct. Este un rău necesar oricărui posesor de Instinct. Mulțumesc! 

• Yes indeed I'd love to have it too

• Does anyone know if the tactical version has it?

• Wow, not sure why this post has become so argumentative. I am looking to buy a cheap'ish fitness tracker, to get a feel for it before deciding whether to invest more or not. I am finding it really hard to find the right watch, because of the wide variety of watches with all their features and styles. I find myself adding to my list of important must-haves, with pretty much every other watch I come across- though I am not really sure. But so far for me, its about training to run my first marathon and a general outdoor watch that is rugged with good battery life, GPS and ability to download training plans and create structured workouts. Zone/pace alerts would be nice. I have now whittled down my (not so) short list from 8 to 3 watches; Garmin Vivoactive 3 music, garmin forerunner 735XT and this beauty..The Garmin Instinct. The thing is, the more you listen to reviews and various opinions, the more you find yourself believing you need more than you thought you did and you get sidetracked. That is where I am right now, so I went looking for more information on the one thing I thought this watch must/should have...VO2 estimates (not something I ever knew about or cared about prior to the past few days) but it seems to be a good score to show you how fit overall you are becoming and also can link to other pieces of information like training load to show if you are over/under training or in that nice sweet spot- or at least that is what I have understood so far.. anyway, not sure why so much debate. looking at the fitbit community, they all seem to be more positive and united and they support eachother with ideas for improvements. isnt that what this area is all about? users coming together to share ideas and feeedback, to help make the products better. This post seems to have become more about people scoring points against other people.  Who cares if some people want it and some people dont? Its that person's wish.. nothing wrong with that. let the developers decide if feasible or not. Who would it hurt, to add this feature? After all, this watch is absolutely for running along with many other activities. so there is no problem to request this feature and it collects heart rate and has HR zones info, so whats wrong with the request? If a watch like the much cheaper Forerunner 45 can have it, then why not this watch? it does not have to be at the fenix price to justify adding it. And I think people who dont agree, should overlook this a little and just recognise that we are all trying to make the watches the best they can be. I will be getting a Garmin, so I want to use this community network to share feedback and offer ideas also. not to get into arguments. We are all on the same side, with a Garmin watch that we want to help improve so it works for everybody. I do think Minus Five has a reasonable request here. I am absolutley agreed I would like this feature, if possible. It was pointed out as a useful and missed opportunity on other review channels too (inc DC Rainmaker and Desfit- youtube), so this person is not the only person who feels this way. What a shame to argue. 

• i support the idea of including v02max 

•  I am finding it hard to justify the price of this watch so was looking to see if it had VO2max.  If it had it that would be a plus. The fact that is doesn't is a minus in my book.

• I was critical of the lack of VO2max on the Instinct but the more I consider the use-cases for the Instinct, the less it concerns me.

• VO2max IIRC is a licensed FirstBeat feature so there's a cost associated with including it in a watch.
    • The Instinct isn't targeted at runners but outdoor generalists. On watches with VO2max, neither hiking nor trail running will trigger VO2max calcs as anything but flat pavement would skew VO2max metrics. Ergo, most of what this watch is geared to has no bearing on VO2max.

Arguing the other side of it:

• Garmin's low-end running watch, the Forerunner 45, has VO2max. My suspicion is it was omitted from the Instinct so as not to gut sales of the Forerunner line.
    • I agree the Instinct will never cannibalize the Fenix line. I'd buy an Instinct as a secondary watch to use in a Spartan race where I didn't want to bash a Fenix.
    • Friends who own the Instinct say it has everything they need and nothing they don't. I think most people only THINK they need VO2max - really, it's not an actionable metric. If you're training your ass off, you don't need a gauge indicating you've moved the needle.
  • I've seen exactly one review that brings up no VO2max on the Instinct as a concern. And as much as I work out two hours plus every day, I can't say I miss it. Frankly, I don't think I'd have noticed its absence if I hadn't been told :-)

So far the only feature I personally feel is missing from my Instinct, is the ability to have one of the activity data fields be a step count for that activity/an overall step count for the day, so I can see at a glance where I am in relation to that goal, as I undertake an activity.

• the only feature I personally feel is missing from my Instinct, is the ability to have one of the activity data fields be a step count for that activity/an overall step count for the day

I think that's an issue for all Garmin wearables - a lot of people would like a step count for individual activities. There doesn't seem to be a way to unpack that data even after an activity is saved - it's like steps and the activity are tracked as entirely separate entities.

• Huh, that's weird. It seems such an obvious thing, too, given Garmin already let you have four stats out of a variety, visible as an activity progresses. Why not steps as well? It's not like Garmin aren't already big on step counting, with a step widget, a step goal, and challenges for steps.

Anyway, cheers for informing me of the wider picture :-)