InReach turning on inside of backpack

Yesterday I opened my backpack at a trail head to find my Garmin InReach Explore+ turned on inadvertently with the battery essentially dead... I noticed that for some reason now my GPS does not require the confirmation selection of "turn on" to power the device. I use to have to [power button] -> [left button] -> [check button] to power the device. I cannot find a setting to regain this behavior. Was there a software update??? This seems like a step in the wrong direction and now I will have to worry about storing my GPS in a location it is less likely to get activated

Does anyone know how to change the startup sequence to what I describe? Breaking out the map and compass although a good refresher was not what I was planning on. 

• I use it for paragliding cross country flights. It is packed tightly into a backpack and has turned on twice at least this summer (southern hemisphere). This didn’t happen in the many years of use before. Last year the service was with an Australian provider but Garmin took over in October and I suspect the update happened then. 

I will complain loudly; but in the meantime I have glued an O ring around the button to shield it somewhat from accidental pushes. 

1. Any other suggestions appreciated.