Garmin fenix 5

"email" to Garmin support regarding pin 2 corrosion. (Electromigration design flaw)

The number 2 pin on the watch charging port is completely missing. This is due to electromigration corrosion often encountered in electronics. I have been in the electronic industry for 40+ years and certainly recognise this design flaw. The speed of corrosion will depend to some degree on use, but while electrical sensing pulses are continually applied to pin 2, all watches with this exposed connector will eventually see corrosion on this pin. I'm sure your engineers have noticed pin 2 is the only one effected, ruling out general sweat, humidity and water as claimed in many Garmin responses.

My problem is getting the watch repaired or replaced, knowing this issue will return, most likely outside the 90 day replacement warranty. Can you tell me if this design flaw has been fixed? If the issue has been resolved then can you please provide details for the return of the watch, and replace the faulty item. If the design flaw has not been addressed can you please provide a full refund once you have received the watch.

Thanks for the assistance.

PS. This watch is only 7 months old.

• Have my 3rd watch for couple of months now and must say there are no signs of corrosion yet. Also battery consumption is much better, around 5%/day when GPS activities are used. On previous watches it was around 15%/day. Could there be improvements in later versions? I also use the same apps and watch face as before except for one widget measuring battery consumption, also in background. Does anyone with corrosion issues here use a similar as well?

• Jenya, probably depend on country and dealer. I bought from Amazon and saved 50e comparing local dealer. I also had issue with the watch, Amazon was sending me to Garmin support and Garmin to Amazon customer support, finally I also got watch replaced after some mailing there and back. Garmin support did finally a good job in my case too.

• I have just received my third Fenix 5 replacement due to pin corrosion. Garmin have still not provided any response to the reported problem. They seem happy supplying a new watch every 6 months.