This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

5X Sensor Cracks

While charging in unusually dim lighting this morning, I noticed hairline cracks on the face of the HR sensor. Panicking, I did some research and found this has happened before to people (like me) who have not damaged the sensor in any way. I have not dropped, smashed, or otherwise done anything to the underside of the watch. It is on my wrist 99% of the time. Sent an email to Garmin support this morning and hope they can address the issue quickly. I love this thing and hate the idea of being without it. ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1284467.jpg
  • I use an HRM-Run for all my workout data and still had my watch replaced as the wrist HRM should 1. not crack, and 2. be useful for 24hr monitoring when not in an activity.

• A week after my replacement 5x arrived, and after the delay before it could show me training status and training load data, all previous training status and training load data disappeared from Garmin Connect and Garmin Connect mobile - that's 6 months worth. Has this happened to anyone else who got a replacement watch? Any ideas how I could get the data back? [apologies for the cross posting as I will post this in Garmin Connect forum and start a new thread as the end of this thread may be a bit out of the way].
  • Look at the drop down at the bottom of that status page. You have to select the data from the old watch to see your history. Sadly it isn't combined into one chart.

• I just sent off a mail to the support address in this thread. While not nearly as bad as many I've seen here... I looked after reading this post and found a single crack that runs from the outer portion of the OHR to the Top of the center square. I can feel it with a fingernail and figured it may be best to start getting after it before it gets worse. Curious to see what can be done with this only being a 2 month old watch.
  • Just sent an email. Noticed this today when I pulled my watch off to charge.

the software here is junk so i can't seem to attach any pictures, no matter the size, so here is a link to the album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DMHllnIApVVXhi9r2

• no. https://photos.app.goo.gl/2nmeXHe71BEKx3O02

After wearing the new watch for a few days, it does appear that the cracks were impacting the OHR in some way. I'd been stuck on very high stress always in my all day stress graph. Even the times I was asleep, it was showing as high stress. With the new watch, i'm getting a range of readings, including low stress time while sleeping.

• Thank you for the discussion on this topic. We are actively investigating the reported cracks on the fenix 5 series optical heart rate sensor. If you see this happening on your watch, please contact [email][email protected][/email] and include “Fenix 5 Series OHR Cracking” in the subject line of the email. And provide your serial number of the watch, your locale, and pictures of the cracking.

Kudos to Garmin Support!!
    March 9th I emailed them, following their instructions above. Shortly after, I got a response with instructions on how to send it in for inspection. Today I received a brand new watch. Very pleased with Garmin Support Norway and their prompt response to my case.

Thanks.
  • I actually decided to not send my replacement back to Garmin (cable issue come back) because I seem to have been 'lucky' and not seen any signs of cracking with this one. Doesn't appear to be any logic to the cracking other than you either get it or you don't. I don't have it so not going to push my luck by getting a third watch!
  • Thank you for the discussion on this topic. We are actively investigating the reported cracks on the fenix 5 series optical heart rate sensor. If you see this happening on your watch, please contact [email][email protected][/email] and include “Fenix 5 Series OHR Cracking” in the subject line of the email. And provide your serial number of the watch, your locale, and pictures of the cracking.

Hello, I just got a replacement unit, but my question is: this issue is affecting a certain batch or is a design issue. I am concern, because my warranty will expire in about 3 months. I am taking my 5X off even to watch my hands now.
    Is there a chance that, the fenix 5X owners, can get warranty extensions for this particular issue?
  • It would be good to get some guidance back from Garmin on their findings - especially if they will honour the failure outside of warranty. Such as a car manufacturer would do with a known, defective car part.

From what I see, it happens on the older silver pin and the newer gold pins. It happens on different watches in the series. You can find threads on 3s that have the issue and other models that have the issue. It doesn't appear related to swimming or anything. It just seems the (bad) luck of the draw if you get one that has a resin that hasn't cured right or something.