This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

5X Sensor Cracks

While charging in unusually dim lighting this morning, I noticed hairline cracks on the face of the HR sensor. Panicking, I did some research and found this has happened before to people (like me) who have not damaged the sensor in any way. I have not dropped, smashed, or otherwise done anything to the underside of the watch. It is on my wrist 99% of the time. Sent an email to Garmin support this morning and hope they can address the issue quickly. I love this thing and hate the idea of being without it. ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1284467.jpg
  • Hi

i emailed to the support address on this thread. Garmin Europe then contacted me directly via email. They asked a couple of questions and then sent me an RMA number. I posted my F5x in and got a brand new one in return.

excellent customer service in my opinion
  • Hi Mithrasm,

how long have you waited until they contacted you? There has been no reply for the last two weeks for me.

Regards, Jörg
  • I waited nearly a week and they hadn't gotten back to me. So I just called in-country support in Australia. They are issuing an RMA for me to return the watch and will send me back a refurbished watch. Although I'd like to have a new one, it's not that important as long as it is in at least as good condition as the one I send in and actually works. If you are still waiting to here back after mailing the address above and you are not in the US, that could be the reason for the delay. The support agent told me that they could now see the mail and photo I sent in but it had not yet been assigned to local support. So it would be a good idea to call them in any case, I think.
  • I was somewhat concerned about getting a refurbished unit as well but this description tells me it isn't simply a watch someone else returned and Garmin decided to send to me. The rep i was emailing wrote

"these units are factory rebuilt, and reclaimed parts are typically used in the casing only, and only if the parts meet our inspection. They will also used parts reclaimed from our production line. I have purchased one of our NOH devices in the past, and could not see any difference, and still have the unit working fine after 2 years."

I think I can live with that.
  • Refurbrished its not bad option. I suppose they change back cover and solve 2x1 (silver connector problems and crack sensor problem).
    Regards
  • I was a tiny bit concerned about receiving a NOH (refurb) unit, but as I had purchased a NOH Monterra (still have it) and could not tell that it wasn't a new, in box retail unit, I'm no longer concerned. I'm hoping that the NOH units receive a bit more detailed attention.
  • Hi

i emailed to the support address on this thread. Garmin Europe then contacted me directly via email. They asked a couple of questions and then sent me an RMA number. I posted my F5x in and got a brand new one in return.

excellent customer service in my opinion

May I ask what country you do live in? Czech support was far from friendly. Its like I was claiming a Casio watch repair. Their offices do not have a telephone number just not to be bothered with costumers, you can contact them only via email.
  • Is the same starting in my case?

Looks like how mine started.
  • I received my refurbished device today. So far it looks fine. Hopefully it will hold up.