Major Altimeter-Barometer-Temperature Malfunction

Over the past several years, I have had a series of Forerunners (910XT, 920XT) and Fenixes (2, 3, 3HR, 5x) which have all developed total malfunction of altimeter-barometer-temperature. I seem to have been one of the few until the 3HR, on which many had similar problems. Just the other day I was thinking to myself that maybe this would not happen with the 5x, until mid-morning yesterday when suddenly while at work, the problem developed on my 5x. The clue is that the altitude suddenly went to approximately -65,000 feet. The barometric pressure showed no change. The temperature read 451 degrees. I tried recalibrating the altimeter, at which point the barometric pressure became bizarre and incompatible with life. So, I updated to the new beta firmware (4.21) with no change in these reading. I then soaked in soapy water (on the theory that the sensor port may be clogged; this has never worked for me). Then I did a hard reset. Following the hard reset, here are the numbers: altitude -68337, barometer 1013.2, temperature 561.

I realize that I may be the only person who has had this problem with every one of the devices. I wonder if there is something in the pool I use (salt water pool at Lifetime fitness) that degrades the sensors. I take impeccable care of the watch and rinse the sensor port under running fresh water after every workout. I'd rather not have these features on my watch than have these bizarrely wrong values and am not sure what to do at this point. I will call Garmin Monday and they will probably replace the device (hopefully). I love the functionality of the 5x and there is nothing out there that compares but I hate going through this repeatedly and am seriously considering switching platforms, though nothing out there appeals to the same degree.

I welcome suggestions.
  • If Garmin replace your device they will also replace your maps.
  • Thanks for explanation, that is fair from Garmin. And this is possible within 2 years of warranty period obviously.
  • Less than four months have elapsed and the problem has now occurred on my replacement unit. Suddenly yesterday, the altitude froze at 820 feet (unvarying), the barometer froze at 8069.8, and the temperature "froze" at 575 degrees. As I described at the beginning of this thread, this must be my 10th plus occurrence of this problem on virtually every Garmin model with these functions in the Forerunner and Fenix series. Something that I (and others) do is eating up these sensors despite, at least in my case, extreme care with thoroughly rinsing the port after each workout. The only thing I have been able to think of is the saltwater pool I swim in faithfully three times weekly, year round. As much as I love the ecosystem and particularly the fenix 5X, and despite Garmin so far being very good about replacing these units, I'm seriously thinking about finally making the switch to Suunto or maybe even Apple.
  • There is a hole on the right side between the two buttons that's used for the sensors. Any chance that's plugged up?
  • That's the hole that I faithfully and thoroughly rinse after every workout. There is nothing visible there. I suppose it is possible that salt has accumulated on the sensor despite my thorough rinsing after very workout. I'm now soaking the watch in soapy water. In the past that has never worked but I always try that. I read somewhere that vinegar can help dissolve salt and I might try that as well. This is all theory right now since despite having replaced so many units, Garmin has never circled back to me to tell me what they have found in the units I have returned.
  • wborstein

This may seem a stupid thing to suggest, but is there any chance that rinsing out the sensor aperture is what is causing the problem. I personally would never wash out such an aperture with soapy water due to the possibility of residues etc

Soap residues are likely to attract dust and dirt which may be difficult to shift.

You seem to be saying that there are few if any who have this issue recurring on a number of devices. IS it possible that few if any people rinse out the sensor.

Please note I don't even have a 5X and am reading posts to get an idea of potential issues as I intend to buy one this week.

I have a feeling that using vinegar on the watch might well invalidate the warranty, vinegar being acidic.

Is rinsing the aperture a maintenance activity suggested by Garmin?

This may be a stupid suggestion but it is made in good faith. I hope the issue is quickly resolved.

Brian

• Thanks for the suggestions. Just to be clear about this, I do not routinely clean with soapy water; that's just something I try when this happens as a terminal event. There are a few posts around of individuals with this problem who have done the soapy soak and gotten resolution, but as I said that's not been my experience. Rinsing is recommended by Garmin and it's something I started doing after several previous devices developed this problem. That said, your theory is as good as any. I have settled on the theory that it's the pool I use. It's the pool I've used for the past 5 + years and it's a salt water pool and I as I said I use it faithfully year round. Who knows, though. I do share your concerns about the vinegar. I would only use it diluted and would rinse thoroughly afterwards. It's a matter of desperation at this point as I would love for this to be something I can resolve without having to replace the unit every several months.
  • Less than four months have elapsed and the problem has now occurred on my replacement unit. Suddenly yesterday, the altitude froze at 820 feet (unvarying), the barometer froze at 8069.8, and the temperature "froze" at 575 degrees. As I described at the beginning of this thread, this must be my 10th plus occurrence of this problem on virtually every Garmin model with these functions in the Forerunner and Fenix series. Something that I (and others) do is eating up these sensors despite, at least in my case, extreme care with thoroughly rinsing the port after each workout. The only thing I have been able to think of is the saltwater pool I swim in faithfully three times weekly, year round. As much as I love the ecosystem and particularly the fenix 5X, and despite Garmin so far being very good about replacing these units, I'm seriously thinking about finally making the switch to Suunto or maybe even Apple.

Could it be a body chemistry thing? I know for instance, that when I wear silver, it will turn black, while my mother will 'clean up' silver by just wearing it. Maybe something like that is happening with the exposed parts of the temperature sensor?

• Interesting thought. I suppose one way to find out is to not use the next one in the pool that I swim in. That defeats the purpose and is a step too far for me. I would love for Garmin to weigh in on this issue but I have never been able to get them to do that.
  • Mine just went as well. I had a fenix 3 and returned it after a few weeks because of this issue. Just bought a 5 hoping that this was resolved, and it looks like the situation is no better. Both worked great for about 2 weeks and then altitude and barometer just started going crazy. It may be coincidence, but mine seem to go crazy about a day after being outside in snowy weather.

I'm convinced all of these are defective and some people just haven't triggered it yet.