Major Altimeter-Barometer-Temperature Malfunction

Over the past several years, I have had a series of Forerunners (910XT, 920XT) and Fenixes (2, 3, 3HR, 5x) which have all developed total malfunction of altimeter-barometer-temperature. I seem to have been one of the few until the 3HR, on which many had similar problems. Just the other day I was thinking to myself that maybe this would not happen with the 5x, until mid-morning yesterday when suddenly while at work, the problem developed on my 5x. The clue is that the altitude suddenly went to approximately -65,000 feet. The barometric pressure showed no change. The temperature read 451 degrees. I tried recalibrating the altimeter, at which point the barometric pressure became bizarre and incompatible with life. So, I updated to the new beta firmware (4.21) with no change in these reading. I then soaked in soapy water (on the theory that the sensor port may be clogged; this has never worked for me). Then I did a hard reset. Following the hard reset, here are the numbers: altitude -68337, barometer 1013.2, temperature 561.

I realize that I may be the only person who has had this problem with every one of the devices. I wonder if there is something in the pool I use (salt water pool at Lifetime fitness) that degrades the sensors. I take impeccable care of the watch and rinse the sensor port under running fresh water after every workout. I'd rather not have these features on my watch than have these bizarrely wrong values and am not sure what to do at this point. I will call Garmin Monday and they will probably replace the device (hopefully). I love the functionality of the 5x and there is nothing out there that compares but I hate going through this repeatedly and am seriously considering switching platforms, though nothing out there appeals to the same degree.

I welcome suggestions.
  • I have had the same problem with 3 fenix watches, one fenix 5, one fenix 6 and now in my 9 month old fenix 6 Pro. All of them experienced the same malfunction of altitude and barometer data, probably because it's the same pressure sensor for both applications.

3 times experiencing the same malfunction in 3 different watches is statistically relevant and states a more than probable design problem. 

Using the watches on 4 to 5 times per week on Swimming pool  sessions, plus some sea open water swimming activities during the year may cause the issue? Other uses, as as weekly cycling and ocasional trekking could cause the breakdown?

In any case, the watches are intended for intense swimming and diving activities and, in less than one year from reception, all devices failed.

First 2 watches were replaced (Garmin, thanks for it) and, a couple of days ago, I just delivered my fenix 6 pro to the dealer service dept. to be sent to GARMIN regional service office, I hope warranty will act again this time.

If someone from Garmin staff reads the message, please inform your quality and design departments to improve the robustness of the sensor.

Next time I have to buy a new watch, I may not choose Garmin despite I am very satisfied with all the other features. I will follow user opinions in forums when that moment arrives.

• I started with Garmin about 6 months ago and it has happened to me twice now with two different watches. After giving it some thought, I think I know the reason why the barometer on my watch consistently fails after a few months of intense swimming training. It appears to be related to the position of the barometer on the watch itself. The barometer is located on the right side of the watch. Since I wear the watch on my left arm, the first part of the watch that enters the water is the side with the barometer opening. Over time, I suspect that the impact with the water may be causing damage.

So, using the principles of fluid dynamics, specifically the Bernoulli equation. When a fluid travels from a larger space to a smaller one, the velocity of the fluid increases exponentially. This effect can be observed when putting a finger at the end of a hose. Applying this concept to swimming, when my hand enters the water with relatively high speed, the water hits the small diameter holes and significantly increases in speed as it travels through them. This high-speed flow occurs just before it reaches the end of the space where the barometer is situated, impacting it with a lot of water pressure. The constant exposure to this may cause fatigue to any kind of protection is there to keep the barometer from getting wet or just destroying the sensor itself.

If this is correct, a potential solution could be to relocate the barometer openings to the other side of the watch. However, it is important to note that this may increase the chances of the barometer failing for individuals who wear the watch on their right arm while swimming. Alternatively, positioning it in the space between the lower band holders (opposite to where the flashlight is installed on the Fenix model) could also be considered. By making this last adjustment, the issue would be resolved permanently regardless what arm a swimmer wears the watch.