Can the Fenix 5 watch be worn in salted water?

Hello all,

tell me please, is there any restriction regarding the type of the water in which the watch is resistant ?
Can the fenix 5 with black silicone be worn under salted (sea) water?

According to the manual there is no restriction specified, but I'm curios if the salted water can physically affect the silicone or the metal.

Previously I worn a Polar M400 watch and I think that the salted water physically affected the silicone band and is not looking well.

Thank you in advance.
  • unprotected steel can rust in ten minutes

The pins are not from unprotected steel. Not sure how they are made on Fenix 5, but on my cheap Instinct 2, they are gold coated. On my previous Instinct 1st gen they were either silver or nickel plated (probably rather nickel, but I am not sure). I had no corrosion problems with either of them. This is how the contacts look like, on the Instinct 2 after 2 years of use and hundreds of hours in sea water:

Unfortunately, I do not have the 5 years old Instinct 1st gen with the nickel or silver contacts anymore, so cannot make a photo, but the contacts were in good shape too, and still serve to my friend without any problems. I do not expect that the F5 (about the same generation as my old cheap Instinct) had worse contacts than that. 

I can only recommend what I already wrote - proper maintenance, quick rinsing and drying not only after sea swimming, but also after every sweaty activity (finally you wrote the contacts rust after running, and sweat is three times saltier than sea water, hence more corrosive), regularly cleaning with a soft brush and alcohol, and definitely consider purchasing the contact plugs.

If you did not see it, there are hints about the contacts cleaning in the F5 manual here: Cleaning the Charging Contacts on a Garmin Watch | fēnix 5 | Garmin Support

• Seriously, the only time I ever had a contact issue was when I trialed those contact covers. They didn’t  stop water from getting in but they did stop water from getting out.

i have never taken any special care of my watches, I do not rinse them after swimming but I do wear them in the shower every day so I must assume that the daily immersion in warm soapy water keeps them clean enough and they dry naturally on my wrist.

• Seriously, the only time I ever had a contact issue was when I trialed those contact covers. They didn’t  stop water from getting in but they did stop water from getting out.

My experience is the exact opposite - I use the covers since 3 years, the contacts mostly remain dry after swimming, and sometimes even after diving. The added advantage is that I get no skin irritation as I did before starting to use the plugs.

• I was getting cable connection issues on my 5SS after using the covers, I stopped using them, cleaned the pins with contact cleaner and no more issues. The watch doesn't irritate me so that was never a consideration.

• I wear mine for >3 years, NEVER take it off; including many swimmings in sea and lakes. NEVER had any problems, watch is fine, working w/o any problems. Nuke-safe built, don't worry about salt water. However, I don't do scuba diving (any more).