No vibrations for phone notifications and activity alerts

Just curious if everyone with the Fenix 5 are experiencing vibration issues or if its certain models or what not.
I have the 5 and the vibration works when the alarm goes off but not for phone notifications or activity alerts (run/walk, pace etc...).
As I have seen in some other threads the notifications work for a bit, then once a sync happens it turns off.

I sent an email to Garmin regarding this so hopefully it will be a quick fix.
  • Definitely not just iOS because I'm on Android (Samsung Galaxy S7) and can reproduce at will.
  • Pray to the Garmin gods to get this fixed asap !! This is frustrating , I use this feature all the time.
  • I honestly can't put my finger on if it's a firmware issue on the F5, a GCM bug, or just a disconnect between the two. I've spent a good hour today trying to find the combinations. My FR235 was fine up until I disconnected it yesterday, so I'm inclined to think it's a firmware issue, or just a feature disconnect between the F5 and GCM. Also based on the facts that it's fine for some users is another wrench in the puzzle.

I'm sure Garmin will get 'er fixed up, though. I'm not worried.
  • I only sync via BT to Connect on my iPhone and haven't had this issue. Is there something I'm missing out on by not also syncing to my computer (which seems to cause this issue)?

So when you set it up via the Garmin App, how did you attach the watch to WIFI? Or didnt you?

Maybe I will try that tonight, factory reset it then set it up via the phone app only and then only use bluetooth to sync. The issue with this is I have custom workouts built in the Garmin Dashboard, not sure how to get them on the phone without plugging into PC

Its very frustrating though. I rely on the watch to tell me when emails arrive and when texts arrive etc. I leave my phone on silent all day. I am missing communications like crazy
  • I have 2 fenix 5's right now in my possession. A slate gray and a 5 sapphire black.

As I've stated in the other thread my slate gray does not reset the vibration setting. It does not have WiFi so I can't test that on it but for me, the vibration setting sticks through GC Android syncs.

I got my 5 sapphire this AM and after initial setup the vibration was toggled to off. I changed that back to on and have now done 10 WiFi syncs and at least 5 syncs through the GC Android app.. After each and all of these syncs the vibration setting remains toggled on..

Not sure why some are seeing the problem but neither of mine are experiencing this. I'll repost back if I do happen to see the issue arise..
  • I think I am confused as to what WIFI actually is used for on the Fenix
  • I got my 5 sapphire this AM and after initial setup the vibration was toggled to off. I changed that back to on and have now done 10 WiFi syncs and at least 5 syncs through the GC Android app.. After each and all of these syncs the vibration setting remains toggled on..

Do you have 'Alert Tones' set to Off, During Activity or On in Garmin Connect? For me the Alert Vibration only stays On on the watch if Alert Tones are also set to On in GC.
  • I think I am confused as to what WIFI actually is used for on the Fenix

Once set up (home router or your phone as a mobile hotspot), the WiFi is a much much quicker way of syncing with GC, especially if there are any update files to transfer. (Seriously, only a few seconds compared to the age it can take over BLE).
  • Once set up (home router or your phone as a mobile hotspot), the WiFi is a much much quicker way of syncing with GC, especially if there are any update files to transfer. (Seriously, only a few seconds compared to the age it can take over BLE).

SO how do you attach to wifi from the Garmin Connect Mobile App?

The only time I saw somewhere to add WIFI was when I did the install via the Garmin Express app on my PC.