F5X vs Epix disaster

Hi all,

Could we analyze together the risk for F5X to come to the same disaster as epix:
Very expensive watch, with full set of functionalities, but put on the side road of Garmin product management ( few FW upgrades, finally a product with plenty of remaining bugs that will never be fixed).
That's a shame on Garmin, but it is the reality.
What is the probability that it will be the same for F5X?

From what I understood ( source DCrainmaker ), F5 and F5X share the same platform, but we should get the confirmation that the same FW updates will apply to both F5 and F5X.
I have a doubt in this as CPU and memory should be different in F5X to handle maps.
  • I can't imagine Garmin were too pleased with how the Epix went either - it must have been expensive to design and manufacture, and didn't do very well. Their question will have been: how can we make something with the Epix-style maps, but keep the production costs down and have it sell better? The 5x hits both targets: it'll sell as the same general-purpose watch as the 5/5s with added maps, so a lot of people will consider it who might not have wanted something marketed as the Epix was, which felt to me about the maps rather than about the whole package, thinking 'I know I want a 5, and hey those maps might come in useful'; and a lot of the development and long-term support costs will be rolled in with those for the 5 and 5s, so get paid off no matter which 5 a customer buys.
  • So people have posted links to firmware downloads for all three F5 variants today; all version 0.88, all released 27 January. The 5 and 5s versions are exactly the same size, the 5x is larger. Identical release dates and version numbers is encouraging - suggests there is a lot in common and not much to tweak for the mapping components.
  • Magnolia paseo

Ok, it appears from first FW publication that F5S/F5/F5X are managed in the same changeboard.
    Let's wait the next 2 or 3 publications in order to confirm definitely.
  • Epix chip wasn't faster then F3 chip (almost the same)

Indeed, was 50% faster. Connect IQ benchmark applications prove this.
  • @Vonalim @a1234.garmin

Indeed, was 50% faster. Connect IQ benchmark applications prove this.

Garmin Fenix 3 CPU is Freescale Kinetis SCK66FN2M0 (MK65FN2M0), that's inside my watch. This SoC supports Ethernet interface to connect to TI CC3100 WiFi chip.
    Garmin Fenix 3 HR CPU is Freescale Kinetis MK26FN2M0C according to some chinese teardown. The main difference is probably no ethernet support as F3HR uses different WiFi chip probably with different interface (Atmel ...).
    Garmin Epix CPU is Freescale Kinetis SCK61FN1M (MK61FN1M) according to FCC photos.

Garmin Fenix 3 and 3 HR CPU's are rated at max. 180 MHz in HSRUN mode and 150 MHz without high speed run mode. Epix CPU is rated at max. 120 MHz according to Freescale product selection guides etc. Also has less flash and sram as it has 8GB flash chip and 32MB RAM chip.

Epix seems %50 faster in bechmarks. This may be because Garmin used different processor than FCC product, but I don't think this is the thing.
    I think simply it's due to different frequency setting. Vivoactive CPU is 48 MHz CPU and Fenix 3 CPU is 150(180) MHz CPU; but in benchmarks they get almost same results. Or even Vivoactive surpasses F3 with a few more points, because it has lower pixel count to calculate and calculations finish faster. Also some CIQ dev wrote it here, he thinks they run on same frequency. This is mainly to decrease battery consumption. However, as Epix needs more processing power to render maps and access more memory it's apparently clocked faster than the other watch processors. Maybe even it doesn't run at full speed and lower clocked to save power. Epix CPU is not some better or faster processor, it's just running faster. :D
  • I would wait about 6 months to see if they will be fixing bugs of F5X. After Epix, which is still great watch, cant trust garmin about fixing bugs :/ They advertise Epix as watch capable for running interival trainings and it's not :/ Dont metion few other bugs.

Totally agree...
    I'm one of those who still has a weird taste in my mouth about Garmin who put us, Epix owner, on the side. I was an pre-order owner of Epix. I will not do same this time. AND THAT NOW can be hard to Garmin. How many of us, Epix owner, will no go eye shut to buy F5x now and wait? How many will share ther bad experience with potential F5x buyers? That can hurt for pre-sale and interest in Garmin to kept it in touch like other model.
    My 2 cents.

Steph
  • I was an pre-order owner of Epix. I will not do same this time. AND THAT NOW can be hard to Garmin.

Amazingly, Garmin released an update for the Epix just recently, which fixes the screen unlocking and some other things, but reportedly doesn't solve some rather big and long-standing issues (interval timer, incorrect elevation in FIT files). I'm very happy that something was done for the Epix though!

But as to whether or not the F5X's code shares enough with the F5(S) to be sure it be part of the same upate/maintenance processes remains to be seen. I'd *guess* that they use the same code base with only the maps part added-on, but what if the mapping part has issues, will those be addressed timely?

I'm not pre-ordering, I'll just wait for a bit.
  • But as to whether or not the F5X's code shares enough with the F5(S) to be sure it be part of the same upate/maintenance processes remains to be seen. I'd *guess* that they use the same code base with only the maps part added-on, but what if the mapping part has issues, will those be addressed timely?

I'm not pre-ordering, I'll just wait for a bit.

That was the same that we where told back in 2015 when Fenix 3 and Epix was announce...
    But don't get me wrong, i really wish that this watch will be THE watch. Doing a lot of hiking, trailrunning, mountain biking and usual other sport, mapping was more than interresting.

What i doubt is about the non touch-screen on a map functionnality. I bought the Wahoo ELEMNT and the Garmin 820. I prefer the sharpness of the Wahoo screen but a map functionnaly without a touch screen, is really no best from my point of view... That make me use more the 820 and wanting to sell back my Wahoo ELEMNT.

Steph
  • New FW for Epic !!

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?369558-epix-firmware-version-3-40-is-available-now&p=944937#post944937

Epix is not dead ??

Be realistic! Just part of the marketing game called "Fenix 5X will come and we wont let you down abandoning firmware updates just a short time after its release, look, we still care for Epix, too"