My maps are very slow to load, started in the last few weeks

Hi,

Starting a few weeks ago, my maps on the 5 Plus are super slow to load. This has 2 symptoms:

1. When booting the device it stays 2-3 minutes on the "Loading maps" screen before continuing.

2. When trying to use a map during an activity (or not during an activity), it takes the device 1-2 minutes to render the map. After it's displayed, when trying to move or zoom, it takes another couple of minutes to render it again.

I tried to delete all the .img files from the watch and re-install the maps using Garmin Express, but everything stayed the same. I'm trying to avoid a hard reset, but will do it if that will be the last chance.

I checked for corrupted activities, but everything seems fine. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

• That is a serious problem, im surprised thats not been resolved to do wirelessly, or at least direct cable to a phone or usb stick

• I think a good solution would be to download maps on the PC for offline use
    Like other Garmin devices

• After hitting this problem twice, as well as having some other odd problems with my Fenix 5 Plus (such as courses not loading properly), I finally went nuclear and it appears to have fixed it...

The first time I hit it my fix was to reload the map using Garmin Express on my PC.  That seemed to solve the problem for a few weeks, but then it started occasionally happening again. I also start seeing other issues with routing which seemed to be fixed with a restart of the watch.

Eventually I did the following:

* Did a sync with Explore for Android to back everything up (Connect was already synced)

* Did a factory reset from the watch (deletes all your data, but not maps)

* Connected the watch to the computer, and deleted absolutely everything on the presented drive (deletes maps and everything else. A few things will fail to delete, but that's OK)

* Did another factory reset, because, why not...  (I'm sure this wasn't needed)

* Reloaded maps using Garmin Express on the PC

* Resynced Waypoints/Courses using Explorer for Android

It's now been a few weeks since I did this, and everything seems to be working fine. Maps were a little slow to load after first installing them, but that's expected. If I restart the watch now it's fast, to load them, same after disconnecting it from a computer.

• Why did you do a factory reset before and after deleting everything on the watch, why not delete then factory resrt?

I wonder if this is a cache thing? Is there a cache file for maps on the watch you could delete instead?

• Hi

My Descent is new, it's 2 weeks old, the only thing I carried was 1 POI (house) and a 40m walk.

And yes, I've done several resets.

I never got to see the maps at Basecamp.

• I havent been able to get hold of one yet at least not with transmitter which i want to make sure the watch reads accurately,  But youd be surprised how quickly the cache fills up, not just the maps but other apps and systems, spotify streaming is the worst ive come accross, sounds like its that kind of issue, used to have the same with an old garmin satnav, but im not sure about mk2i tbh, wiping and resyncing is a real pain the rear to have to do even infrequently