This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sticky buttons - the fix

Former Member
Former Member

Hi all,

After a year of 5+ ownership, I was recently plagued by the button issues that others here have frequently complained about. The start/stop button had become stiff and it felt as if there were a double clicking action, followed by the button seemingly become jammed down when depressed.

The theory was that some dirt, oil, or a mixture of the two may have worked its way into the button mechanism and was jamming it up, so I've soaked the watch in a bowl of warm soapy water for 30 minutes, pulled it out and clicked the button multiple times then repeated the soaking processing over the next couple of days. True enough, whatever was in there broke down and the buttons were freed and feeling like they did when the watch was brand new.

I'd advise trying this if you experience something similar.

• Frustrating. I am now on my 3rd Fenix 5, once bought, twice replaced. The first one had a battery defect that, when switched off, would go down from a full charge to 60% overnight.

Replaced, the new unit had an issue with its antenna, during running it would lose touch with the chest strap every single time my arm swing back during the run.

Replaced again, with this refurbished unit. I only take it for a run. I don't use it as a watch. And I clean it with a damp tissue after each run. 

Now, after a year, it's upper right button, the Start/Stop is having the same issue described by many. Not clicking, feeling mushy. Still works. But not good for such an expensive device. Poor Quality control 

• Super frustrating, and you're 100% right. This shouldn't be.

Interestingly, I have had really poor battery performance in my 5+. The one they replaced due to the stuck buttons (with a hefty fee, of course, since I was just a couple of weeks out of warranty) would go from 90%+ to 30-40% overnight, surprising me on a trip where I didn't think I needed my charger (and didn't bring it). It was dead the rest of the trip after 2 days (4 day trip, no GPS usage, should have been fine). My replacement is better, but neither is as good as my 5 was. I could easily go a week with running on GPS probably 2-3 hours total.

And I'm nervous about the buttons ALL the time.

• Play CSR roulette and call back.  There are CSRs at Garmin who actually care about their customers, and let's be fair, we are ALL repeat customers.  Quality control at Garmin is nonexistent, they kick the can to their customers.  

• Hi, like so many others, my Fenix 5S  had the sticky start/stop button problem. I tried the soap/warm water method many a time but it never really solved the problem.

Seeing that my watch is out of warranty, and feeling frustrated, I decided to open it up to check out the root cause.

WARNING: I do not accept responsibility if you decide to open up your watch and only manage to brick it.

1. Remove the four Torx screws on the back. 2. Remove the back cover which hosts the battery. 3. Disconnect the flex connector for the battery from the main PCB. 4. Disconnect the flex connector for the altitude sensor from the PCB. 5. Remove the two tiny screws that hold down the PCB. 6. Remove the PCB and disconnect the Display flex connector on the back. This should expose the start/stop button for easy access. See the highlight white circle in the image below.

Remove the tiny c-clip that secures the button (shown clearly in the image). This is best done with a pair of sturdy needle nose tweezers. Be careful. If the c-clip goes flying, you may never find it again! The button now can be removed and so is the tiny compression spring within (see attached photo which shows the old Garmin spring).

Looking at the button and the recess that it fits into, I suspect what may have happened over the years is an asymmetric wearing/rubbing of the button against one side of the recess, causing that contact face to roughen over time and creating excessive friction. Eventually the spring force cannot overcome the friction easily and the button began to stick. This is likely caused by the asymmetry in the compression spring actuation---no spring is made perfect and its force is never truly axial. I am sure all the sweating and exposure to nature don't help either. Soap and warm water soaking will reduce the friction and make the problem go away, but only temporarily (speaking for myself only). 

I decided the best way to fix the problem for good is by going for a slightly stronger spring. In the end, I picked a spring made by MISUMI (Part Number UM5-5). Dimensionally this MISUMI spring is an exact replacement of the original Garmin spring. It's a drop-in replacement.

I'm on this new spring now for a week, running, swimming and cycling. The button works like a charm. Not sticky anymore. Hope this ends up helping someone.

[9 MAY 2020] Been on the MISUMI spring for a month now. Start/stop button is working great. In fact, the tactility feels better than the other buttons, just a bit stronger and bouncier in my opinion. I ordered a set of five UM5-5 springs from the MISUMI online shop---you have to pretend you are a business because they don't deal with personal accounts, at least in my region. Each spring is about a buck. I chose the one that was the longest in length---there is always a manufacture variation which was why I ordered five. Since the spring constant is fixed, the longest spring will generate the highest force.

• Thanks! I am not the first owner of my 5 Plus and have no documentation with it, which is necessary if you want (out of warranty) repair. So if the start button gives out, this is what I'll do.

• This is unreal! I am definitely flagging this for the moment when the button on my replacement watch inevitably gets too stuck for hot water to save. If there wasn’t a risk to waterproofing, I’d do it preemptively. 

where did you get the spring? Do you have a good online source?

thank you for this!

• I think water resistance may be compromised anyway over time.. . (not back gasket particularly .. but the button gaskets) using hot water on the rubber seals... expansion /contraction effect softens the rubber.. and let's water past the seals(like pressing the buttons underwater will) ...all water resistant ratings are done in cold water or room temperature... Never a good idea to put any watch in hot water... all the best... 

• Thanks, Sam. It's tricky since hot (or warm) water is what Garmin specifically tells us to soak the watch in when the buttons get stuck, so it's kind of a catch 22 here.

• Yes I agree catch 22 it is.... Garmin also state not to get any shampoo or soaps or chemicals on the watch.... their recommendation contradicts their recommendations lol... :-) 

• Wish they’d just acknowledge the design flaw and do something about it. I find them to be one of the worst when it comes to listening to and supporting customers. 

they know we’re stuck. I have so much Garmin equipment all tied together and through Connect, it’s hard to change. That shouldn’t be why I choose their stuff. I don’t like having to put up with their stuff vs love it and feel like they appreciate the business.