maps / navigation issues (was: Did anyone think about changing to a smartwatch à la Apple Watch or Samsung Galaxy?)

Being frustrated with how much my Garmin Fenix 5 Plus cost and how badly many functions are integrated, I was looking around what else there is. As I would like to have maps (one of the main reasons, I bought the F5+, and it just doesn't work reliably), I guess it would need to be sth like the Apple Watch (horrible design IMHO) or the Samsung Galaxy Watch (looks pretty nice IMHO).

I think one major drawback would be battery life, but ok. I think that there should be a way of getting offline maps on the watches as well, or at least in combination with the smartphone, important for me would be though that it's really offline. What I would loose as well would be training status. It would be a pitty as I like the green bar thingy. But I think strava offers something similar (not for free, but I am fine to pay, I just want sth that conveniently works).

Seeing how much a Galaxy watch cost (about 1/3 of what I payed for my F5+), it seems a good alternative.

Any experiences, opinions?