DATA 'INDIGESTION'... A TIP

I carry an inReach Explorer+ with me on my daily dog walks because there's no phone signal in the woods where we go.  So as I'm carrying it for emergencies, I also use it to track how far we walk, and add the readings to a spreadsheet.  But after a couple of months of daily (sometimes twice or three times daily) recordings, it seems to 'get indigestion', and the line on the map misses details out... if I go A to B to C, the display draws a line between A and C, although the distance recording is accurate.

So when this starts to happen, I backup the inReach to my PC, do a factory reset, and then reload the backup — this cures it.  But although the backup reinstalls the main settings (preset messages, contacts etc), it doesn't upload the smaller preferences (like icon placings, track send interval etc.  So before the last backup I took photos of the screen layouts, and also noted which settings differed from the defaults.

Now, after a Reset, it only takes a few minutes to get back to where I was.  It's a pity that the backup doesn't cover this, though.

• I've never seen this particular symptom. Unfortunately, I don't have an active Explorer+ at present. 

Factory reset is a pretty big hammer. The first thing I would try would be to clear the local track log on the unit. You can do this from the Tracking screen using the Clear button. When the track log becomes full, it should just wrap. Documentation indicates something about retaining a lower detail tracking line when it wraps. This sounds a bit like what you might be seeing.

I do not remember anything about how - or if - you can save individual tracks to the unit on the Explorer series. But that's the next thing I'd look fat if clearing the on-device track log does not solve the problem. You definitely should not have to resort to a factory reset for this.