This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

inReach Sync error: 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'

Hi all, I purchased a Garmin inReach Explorer+ in Sept/Oct 2018 and initially had no trouble syncing my device with my computer. Between the purchase date and Nov 2018, my IT administrator took ownership of the device and instead of my being the device's admin, I am now a user (just some additional info). When I tried to sync my device around 1 Feb 2019 with a new regional map (New Zealand), the device would no longer sync. I have tried syncing the device to three different computers, at least one of which recognized the device as being connected to the computer, but all three computers give me the same error message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. I have: manually updated the device's firmware (several buttons pressed simultaneously; help provided by Garmin Support), I have uninstalled: all of USB drivers, the inRearch Sync/BaseCamp software, and I have restarted my computer. After being online with Garmin Support for 2-3 hours and waited 12 days to hear from the 'engineers', I still have a useless paperweight. Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried the 'workaround' provided by Support, which includes 'ejecting' the device from my computer and then trying to sync it again, but that didn't work. The fact that there is a workaround and not a solution is ridiculous considering the price for these units and the fact that this is supposed to be a 'professional' grade unit for use in the backcountry. I expressly bought this unit for its dual purpose of a GPS unit, and dual communication PLB and neither feature works well.

Anyway, I'm stuck with this device in the field for 6 months during my sabbatical research and need to find a solution to this problem FAST! Please, if you have any suggestions, I'm keen on hearing them!

Thanks, DocRob
inReach Explorer+ (firmware v4.0 (196211); hardware v3.3)
Lenovo Thinkpad (Windows 10 Enterprise, 64-bit)
  • Several things come to mind.

First, if you have another compatible USB cable, try that. The main reason I mention this is because you said that "...at least one of which recognized the device as being connected..." Failure to connect consistently can be due to a flaky cable.

Second, make sure that the USB port into which you plug the device is NOT set to allow power-down when idle. On Win10, this setting is accessible for USB Hubs from the Device Manager (accessible from the Control Panel). Right-click the hub in the display, select Properties in the pop-up menu, click on the Power Management tab, and make sure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is NOT checked. If you make a change, be sure to click OK at every opportunity to save the change.

Your machine probably has several USB hubs. Unfortunately, it's not possible to easily determine which hub the device is connected to. In my experience, it's easiest to just turn this off for every hub in the system.

The third is really a workaround option. You can download the free Earthmate app for iPhone or Android from the corresponding app store. You should be able to then sync the device via the app. I don't believe that this delivers firmware updates, but it should allow you to sync waypoints and routes without the need for a USB connection or the sync software on the PC. The inReach must be paired with your phone via BlueTooth. You must be logged into your inReach account in order to sync. Not sure about the Android version. On iPhone, you do this from More > Options > Account & Sync.

Warning: The iPhone version has a bug which sometimes makes it appear as if the app has forgotten your login credentials. Check on each app startup. If the login information is blank, swipe the app closed and reopen it. That should restore the credentials.

Finally, this might be a hardware problem. It doesn't sound like you can spare the device at the moment. But you do have the option of returning the device for service. It's probably still under warranty.