Tracks combined by sync process

Following the sync process tracks from 2 days were combined and the track for the first day was the log track (20-minute interval, not the 1-minute interval). I went on a 6 day hiking trip with several mile hikes on each day. When I got back home, I synced my Explorer+ to get my tracks. For most of the tracks, I got the 1-minute track record that I expected. For 2 of the tracks, I only got the 20-minute log record. Even more confusing, The 20-minute log for 8/24/2018 was combined with the 1-minute track for 8/25/2018 even though the Explorer+ had been turned off the night of the 24th and not turned on until the start of the hike on the 25th. The trail heads for the 2 days were over 5 miles apart and I drove to the trail head for the 25th. There is no track for my driving, just a straight 5+ mile jump from the end of the trail for the 24th to the start of the trail for the 25th. Either the database in the Explorer+ is corrupted or the sync process has problems. I believe it is the later as on my Explorer+ I can display the 1-minute log for the 24th. I tried uploading jpg photos of the 1-minute 8/24 track on the Explorer+ and the combined 8/24 and 8/25 tracks on my PC, but the uploads failed.

• I have had problems in the past with sync'ed data- ie uploaded to the map via an InReach USB connection to the computer logged in to Delorme/Garmin.

The short interval dots appear but sometimes the large 10min dots do not go away really cluttering the map, especially with their miles long connecting lines.

In the past when this happened I would contact Delorme who would perform some magic and remove the large dots and lines.

Now it is happening again with Garmin and they tell me the large dots/lines are SUPPOSED to stay after a sync. Yet they don't on most tracks.

I really wish they had better tech support as I believe they should NOT appear EVER after a synch.
  • The yellow highlighted segment is an example of large dots/lines remaining - yet they aren't on any other track on that map.ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1416428.jpg
  • I think this is a work in progress. This kind of symptom usually results from the web site treating one real track as two separate tracks. The sent points (the large yellow ones) arrive at the web site via the Iridium satellite network, in more or less real time. The logged points (the small blue dots) arrive at the web site later, on the basis of either an OTA sync (via the Earthmate app on your phone) or via a wired sync. The two should be combined into a single track with the straight lines between sent points suppressed. When this doesn't work quite right, you get two tracks with physically overlay one another. If this is what's happening, you will probably see two tracks in the left sidebar. They will have similar time frames.

I did just try this with a test track I ran on the way to work this morning. I'm not seeing the symptom, but it's always been kind of random. Before the sync, I had straight line segments connecting 5-minute sent points. After the sync, I had straight line segments connecting the 1-minute logged points. The longer straight segments for the sent points no longer appeared. As expected, there was only one track visible (for the time interval) in the Library in the left sidebar. This is the way it's supposed to work.
  • I was told today by Garmin Tech Support that the large dots and their connecting lines are SUPPOSED to show even after a sync. Delorme Tech Support always told me the large dot connecting lines were not supposed to show after a sync. Occasionally they would and when I pointed it out they would remove them.
    But Garmin TS keeps ignoring my question as to why then do they NOT appear on all synced tracks.
    I would really have no problem if the large dots appeared if it had to be that way but please do not show the connecting lines- that really clutters the map.
    Frankly since I run either 2sec or 5sec collection I could live with no connecting lines at all. Point being- don't show BOTH sets of lines on the same track.

Interesting that twolpert's large dots are yellow with the small blue dots. Both mine are always blue...I don't recall ever specifying what color and see no way now to change them.
  • The yellow color is actually in the Earthmate app. All points are blue on the web site. In any case, the problem (and it is a problem, no matter what tech support says) appears to be random. Sometimes you get one track with combined paths; sometimes you get two tracks showing the "extra" straight segments between sent points. You used to be able to clear up the visual mess by hiding the "sent points track". This is no longer possible unless you move the tracks around to other collections...
  • I was told today by Garmin Tech Support that the large dots and their connecting lines are SUPPOSED to show even after a sync. Delorme Tech Support always told me the large dot connecting lines were not supposed to show after a sync. Occasionally they would and when I pointed it out they would remove them.
    But Garmin TS keeps ignoring my question as to why then do they NOT appear on all synced tracks.
    I would really have no problem if the large dots appeared if it had to be that way but please do not show the connecting lines- that really clutters the map.
    Frankly since I run either 2sec or 5sec collection I could live with no connecting lines at all. Point being- don't show BOTH sets of lines on the same track.

For the last couple of weeks my tracks that are uploaded for the finer detail are working like they used to- ie the large dots and connecting lines from just OTA transmitted data disappear when a sync is done- that is the way it used to be and apparently Garmin saw fit to put it back that way. Thank You!!