Error on Route Upload to Device

I'm trying to sync a number of new routes onto the device. They are showing in the Maps online but every time I sync I'm getting a "Error writing to TrackBlocks table" and "Error writing to Routes Table" error and nothing is syncing.

On a related note, under "tracks" on the device it is 50% full and I only have a couple tracks. I clear tracks from that screen and it still shows 50%.
  • It seems that this problem is related to having too many routes and running out of memory. I see on the device under "tracking" it shows as 100% when I try to upload all the routes. That disappointing if that is the case. Even when I delete them all, it is still showing as 50% full so that must be from the maps? I really don't have any tracks on there so I'm not sure what that is representing.
  • I am experiencing the same error. I reset my inReach Explorer+ to factory settings, went through the activation steps, and tried to sync it with the sync app. It took 10 minutes of plugging in the cable, trying to sync, powering down and powering up the device and trying again before it would sync properly. When the unit was reset to factory settings it erased all of my saved tracks, routes, etc. and upon the first error I checked the track log capacity on the device and it said it was at 100% and overwriting info. I think there is a bug somewhere. The device also crashes my mac when I try to sync it with the mac. The mac pops up a window stating a drive attached to my mac cause a fatal error and my machine had to reboot. When the inReach isn't plugged in to my mac, my mac never crashes like that.
  • Still experiencing the same errors even after the new sync update. It's a real cluster syncing with this device. So far a big step back from the Rino.
  • A call to tech support might be in order.
  • Still having these problems with syncing, even after another update. The memory storage is horrible too, it would be nice to have some expansion on this device. Haven't called tech support yet.

I did use it in an emergency once and that function seemed to work good enough to get my buddy off the mountain in a helicopter.
  • In my opinion the device should not be sold. It is simply not working. The routes in the webapp can only be 200 points long or lets better say short (this was changed from 500 to 200 just because Garmin decided that the Webapp is not working good enough to handle 500 points). So to be honest the Webapp is much better than the Explorer+. Approximately 10.000 points in total are allowed on the device. If you are trying to sync more points sync this does not work. This is the same for Earthmate sync or cable sync.

So I have e.g. downloaded the Pacific Creat Trail with maybe 100.000 points (I don't know because this Webapp does not show the number of points in a collection). This collection is simply not syncing to the device. It is no problem to download the 550 Routes with 200 points to the earthmate app but not to the device. That is not a problem of the maps or really running out of memory. There are 2GB of memory available. 100.000 Track points need nearly nothing in terms of memory. We are talking of less than 10MB of gpx files in this case. It is simply very very bad design.

In my opinion the only solution is to build a lot of different collections (every collection with around 10.000 points). Due to the fact that you need a mobile connection to sync a new collection to mobile and the inreach device you have to overlap the sections. Which means you have to build around 15 collections for PCT otherwise you will be out of route vizualization in the middle of nowhere. I see no other solution at the moment.

But even if you have done that you will be again surprised. If you sync via cable sometimes this works, sometimes not. There are several different errors possible. If you change the collection and sync via Eartmate App (this would be the solution if you are on trail) this does not work. You need a factory reset every time otherwise it will not be synced. This costs time and a lot of battery power because of the necessary activation after factory reset (whole activation time with activated display). After one collection sync and changing the collection you have to do the next factory reset for the next collection and so forth.

Furthermore there is absolutely no status of sync via Earthmate app. After less than 5 seconds the sync to the app is done but there is absolutely no status of the sync from the routes from mobile to the Earthmate device.

After contacting support they told me that I should schedule a call back but after I described the problems in detail no one gave me a call. In my opinion they know all the problems and decided to fix them with the next version which is designed by Garmin and therefore they will not use the whole navigation part of the delorme. Until then they sell the faulty units which are near to useless in tearms of navigation.

Another thing is that navigation for a route is showing two directions (compass indicater around 315° and map show the correct 240°). So for me this is one of the worst products I have ever seens and this is not new on the market. Totally unbelieveable.

The idea was to use the Explorer+ as a backup device for my mobile but I think it is even better to carry a second mobile than the Inreach+ (maybe in combination with the inreach mini).