This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sync Not Working

I received my InReach Explorer+ about 3 weeks ago and have been using it since then without any issues. Yesterday when I went to the explore.delorme web site, it showed that I needed to update my device. So I plugged the inreach into the computer and launched the Inreach Sync app but it does not sync. The circuilar arrows just keep spinning and it says "Determining Updates..." and nothing else happens. I've tried it on two different computers, reloaded the sync app, reset the inreach, rebooted the computer, but nothing has helped. Any ideas. The inreach still seems to function ok, but I would like it to sync when needed. Thanks.

Gary
  • Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Slim, I tried what you suggested and it seems to work for almost all situations. ...

Gary

With WiFi in my home, I find it easy enough to connect inReach and phone (Earthmate app) by Bluetooth and then click Sync on the EM app to sync with the inreach.garmin site via the WiFi/modem. Cables are so '90s! :)
  • I'll just have to learn how to cut the cord. But old habits die hard.
  • Well, here's the latest. I went for a 7 mile hike this morning taking my inReach along (still getting to know it). I changed the log interval to 10 seconds, just to try it out. Everything seems to work fine in the field while hiking. When I returned home, I attempted to sync over wifi via my phone. For some reason the map on the garmin.inreach site is not updating. Not sure what's happening there. The mapshare page only showed the tracking points, but not the log points. I tried syncing several times via the phone per Slim's suggestion but it never updated and showed the log points. So I tried syncing using the usb cable. When I clicked on the Sync app, I was notified that there was an update to the sync app. After downloading and installing the new app, the sync now works. Tried it twice and worked both times. Now the log points are showing up on the mapshare page. I guess that's some kind of progress.

Gary
  • Contacts don't Sync since last firmware update

InReach SE+: I have installed the latest firmware version 3.5 (115707)E after it was released on 28 April 2017. The firmware update (via USB sync) was successful. I am running the current version 1.4.11.3560 of inReach Sync on a MacBook Air with current MacOS 10.12.4 (16E195).

However, since the firmware update I have the following problem:

- Contacts maintained on the Garmin inReach set-up webpage do not sync with the device anymore. (I am talking USB cable sync.)

- Old Contacts (created on the Garmin inReach set-up webpage) that had been on the device have been deleted from the device. Only Contacts locally created/added on the device are still in the device.

- Changes to Quick Text also do not sync. I hadn't tried this before, so I can't tell whether this is a new problem. (However, changes to Presets, both in terms of message content as well as recipient list, do sync correctly!)

I might want to add that even before the recent firmware update, Contacts created/added locally on the device did not synchronize with the Garmin inReach webpage.

Several retries, and reboots of all components, have not helped. Does anybody have the same problem?
  • Sat subscription needs to be ACTIVE for cable sync to work

My problem with wired sync is solved: Wired sync requires your device having an active subscription, not a suspended one. Since I re-activated my device, wired sync is working OK. Luckily, you can prepare all your changes in the website beforehand; you then just have to remember to cable sync before starting the trip (and after having activated the subscription for the device).

I further realized that this is a one way sync. All Contacts, presets, Quick Text that I want to see on the device, have to be maintained on the website. Any new records created on the device will not sync up to the set-up website. And changes made to records on the device, will create duplicate records on the device, something you really don't want!
  • GLBrooks76... did you ever figure out the "Determining Updates" problem with the sync? I have exactly the same problem. I am able to sync my contacts and messages through the Earthmate app on my iPhone. But when I try to use the cable sync to my computer (desktop and laptop), I get the same problem as what you had. It just says "Determining Updates..." and nothing happens. I of course have tried all the usual culprits (cable, computer, reboot, reinstall app, etc...)

You mentioned above that by reloading the firmware you were able to do a cable sync? But how do you reload the firmware? I thought that was a function of the sync through the computer.

Thanks!
  • Mintaka, unfortunately, I don't remember now how I reloaded the firmware. It may have been some process that tech support helped me do while troubleshooting. Since my last post 2 years ago, I haven't had any more issues with syncing. Sorry, not much help. You might try calling tech support and see if they can walk you through it.
  • If you are having inReach Sync issue, follow the steps in the Support Article below:

Troubleshooting inReach Sync for the inReach Explorer and SE

If that does not correct the issue, please reach out to your local Garmin Support Team.