This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sync Not Working

I received my InReach Explorer+ about 3 weeks ago and have been using it since then without any issues. Yesterday when I went to the explore.delorme web site, it showed that I needed to update my device. So I plugged the inreach into the computer and launched the Inreach Sync app but it does not sync. The circuilar arrows just keep spinning and it says "Determining Updates..." and nothing else happens. I've tried it on two different computers, reloaded the sync app, reset the inreach, rebooted the computer, but nothing has helped. Any ideas. The inreach still seems to function ok, but I would like it to sync when needed. Thanks.

Gary
  • You might try creating a waypoint on the MaP page and then Syncing again. This will be a bona fide update.
  • Have you ever successfully synchronized the device via USB? If so, from the same location as the two computers you tried this time? Or from someplace else? The reason I ask is that I believe that there can be problems when there are proxy servers between the computer and the Garmin servers.

I know this sounds stupid, but did you turn the unit on before you plugged it into the USB port? IIRC, if you plug it while it is off, it goes into charging mode. It's not actually connected to the computer in this case. It's only drawing power. But in this state, I'm not sure you'd get as far as "determining updates". (Note that my experience is with an older model Explorer. I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the Explorer+ behaves the same way.)

Finally, did you try a different USB cable? If you had it powered on, you plugged it in, and you did not hear the USB "bong", it may be that the cable is bad.

If none of that, including CS's suggestion to prime the pump with a real "data" sync, helps, it may be time for a call to tech support.
  • CowboySlim, twolpert,

Thanks for the replies. I created a waypoint on the map page as suggested then tried to sync again but that did not help.

I received my new inReach Explorer+ Mar 9. After registering the new unit I was able to sync without any problems. Some time later I made some changes to my contact list and was able to sync again. But now, nothing seems to work.

Twolpert, I think I had tried everything everything you suggested before I read your post. I used the same computer that I used to initially sync the inReach. I am using the same cable that came with the inReach. I have not tried another cable. I did try attaching the inreach with the unit off and already turned on before attaching it to the USB port. Same results. When the sync app is running, it recognizes immediately when I disconnect the USB cable and when I reconnect the cable. I left the inreach attached and the sync running and twice the sync app has crashed after several hours of running. The only thing that I haven't done is a factory reset. I really hope that isn't the cure for this sync issue. I don't want to lose my history each time I need to sync.

Are there any owners of the new inReach out there that are, or are not having sync issues? Or is it just me.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Gary
  • Since the sync program notices the change in connectivity, it doesn't sound like it's the cable.

I don't have an active Explorer at the moment, let alone an Explorer+. So I can't try it. There have been situations where the web services involved in sync-ing were down for appreciable periods. That might result in symptoms like this. And it appears that you were trying this on a weekend, which makes it less likely that support would notice. If you still have the same problem later today, I'd definitely call tech support.

The determining updates phase might take a few minutes, but certainly not hours.

Although anything is possible, I can't imagine what a factory reset would do for you. In any case, you should not need to do that in order to sync. I wouldn't even try it until you've contacted tech support. They may want additional information from your PC. There is a log file with communication details. If possible, you should be at the PC when you contact them.
  • This sounds like it may be a firewall or similar problem. Is it possible for you to try connecting your computer to the internet through a different location) i.e., at work instead of at home, friends place, etc.)? Might be worth trying.
  • Well, I turned off any virus protection and firewall and tried to sync. No go. I guess I'll just have to call tech support.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Gary
  • So here's the latest. I spent about an hour on the phone with tech support. They had me do the usual, reboot computer, restart inReach, reload sync app, disable firewall, reload firmware. The only time that my inReach downloaded the latest changes that I made on the web site that requires a sync, was when I reloaded the firmware. When I did that, then all the changes were synced to the inReach. Attempting to sync after that had the same results of nothing happening just the sync app saying that it is "determining updates" and the arrows continue to rotate. Their final thought was that my home network was causing the problem even though I have no problem connecting to any other web site out there. So I tethered my computer to my cell phone and connected to the internet via my cell phone through the T-mobile data network. The results again were the same, no sync. While connected to T-Mobile, i repeated the firmware update, and once again, all sync required changes came through during the update process. Fortunately, no history was lost during the update. I'm guessing that as more people buy the inReach Explorer+, this sync problem will start occurring with more owners. As more and more owners start complaining, maybe then, Garmin will get this figured out. Until then, I'll just have to force a firmware update any time I need to perform a sync. Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions. Also, to give Garmin credit, They did try everything that they new how to do to get this resolved. I guess this is just growing pains.

Gary
  • If you have an iOS or Android phone with the appropriate Garmin Earthmate app installed, here is a shot in the dark:
    1. With your inreach.garmin.com site open, go to the Map page,
    2. Create a new waypoint,
    3. With the inReach EXP+ turned off, open the Earthmate app and click on the Sync option,
    4. Verify that the new waypoint has synced over from the website,
    5. Boot up the inReach EXP+ and pair with the phone, if not paired, and the connect with the phone,
    6. Upon connection, the waypoint should automagically sync over to the inReach.

Good luck!
  • Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Slim, I tried what you suggested and it seems to work for almost all situations. I created and deleted waypoints on the inReach, on the phone, and on the web site, and in all cases, they would eventually sync across to the other two locations, depending on where I was making the changes. It worked the same when making changes to quick messages on the web site. The only item that did not sync was when I created a contact on the inReach. That contact never showed up on the phone or contact list on the web site. That's not really a big deal as I don't anticipate entering new contacts on the inreach. It's a whole lot easier to enter them on the web site and sync.

So bottom line is that this will work until Garmin gets the sync app fixed. That being said, I haven't taken a hike since reading your post so I have not been able to confirm that a new track with the tracking and logs points will sync across. I will try that soon.

Thanks again.

Gary
  • ...I haven't taken a hike since reading your post so I have not been able to confirm that a new track with the tracking and logs points will sync across. I will try that soon...

The track points should get transmitted via Iridium to your web account. They will also copy over to your Earthmate app, as long as you let it connect to the inReach often enough to not lose any. Log points, messages and such will also copy to the Earthmate app.

If the Earthmate app has permission to use cellular data it will try to upload the log points to your web account as you go along (assuming there is cell service). If there is no cell service or you don't allow the app to use it, the log points can still be uploaded to your web account when you reach a WiFi area and you sync your Earthmate app with the web account.